Ingredient kit missing ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ongreystreet

Reaction score
Porter, original recipe:

Fermentables

Weight (lbs) Grain

Extracts
7.00 Light Malt Extract Syrup
0.25 Dextrin (missing)

Steeping
1.00 Crystal 40L
0.50 Black Patent
0.25 Chocolate

Hops
Weight (oz) Hop Form AAU Boil Time
1.00 Northern Brewer Pellet 8.0 60
1.00 Cascade Pellet 5.0 5

Yeast
Nottingham dry yeast

I ain't waitin a few days my originalsupplier(who won't be named since they were pretty good when I called them, and they offered me a credit)

I was thinking about steeping carapils from my local instead of the missing dextrin? What do you think? And how much?

I don't mind if it makes the brew cloudy.

You'll have to forgive me because I haven't done an extract brew in years, but the list I have from Beersmith says the Carapils doesn't have to be mashed so yeah, I'd steep it.

As to the amount...I'd look around at some of the AG recipes in the forums for porters and see how much they use, but let's start at maybe 1/4#?

You'll have to forgive me because I haven't done an extract brew in years, but the list I have from Beersmith says the Carapils doesn't have to be mashed so yeah, I'd steep it.

As to the amount...I'd look around at some of the AG recipes in the forums for porters and see how much they use, but let's start at maybe 1/4#?

I was thinking maybe 1/2 pound carapils and maybe uping the chocolate from 0.25 pound to 0.50 pound. I want to darken it a little further in case the carapils cloud the beer a little.

these are the numbers i'm thinking

So you agree that an additional 0.25 lbs. of chocolate grain for a total of 0.50 lbs. would be a good change for flavor/color? Along with 1/2" carapils to thicken it up some, these grains are only be steeped, not mashed.

So you agree that an additional 0.25 lbs. of chocolate grain for a total of 0.50 lbs. would be a good change for flavor/color? Along with 1/2" carapils to thicken it up some, these grains are only be steeped, not mashed.

yep. .5 of each. i brew all-grain, but i use .5 of each in my porters too. less wouldn't be enough, imo

Back