Stout Cupcakes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
SWMBO has been making cupcakes out of chocolate cake mix and diet coke recently. Somehow the diet coke makes the batter 'work' and it actually tastes very similar to the 'real' cupcake mix.

So last weekend we brought some of these to a friends house and our friend said "man thats so weird that it works! I wonder what else would?" And the light bulb went off. Stout Cupcakes!!

Tonight I did it....I actually only did a half batch just to see if it would work. For a normal batch it would be 1 pkg chocolate cake mix + ~8oz of Guinness (thats what I used but any stout would do) Mix it up and treat it like a normal batter.

It's actually really good! It's chocolaty but with a definite roasty stouty aftertaste.

Give it a try :mug:

Nice! I want to try this. Except maybe with a porter.

My roommate made a cake with a Belgian Strong Ale. She did it when I was away, but reports that it's really good, that *****.

Sounds awesome!

SWMBO and I have plans to make Abbey Tripel ice cream and mocha chocolate stout ice cream. Anyone with an ice cream maker is welcome to beat us to the punch but we're looking forward to it.

I'm not sure if I was clear in this...maybe I was...I don't know

The ONLY ingredients in this is the cake mix + the stout (or diet coke if thats what you're going for) NO eggs, oil etc.

where are the pictures??????????????????

In my belly :D

But if you REALLY need pics:

First you open one of these:

guinness_can.jpg

Pour in ~8oz or so into the mix of one of these (brand doesn't really matter....just chocolate) :

2004090900120407.jpg

Bake it.

And eat it:

chocunfrost.PNG

**all images stolen from GIS**

I've had a bottle of guinness kicking around the fridge for a good 8-10 months that I can't quite bring myself to drink. I think I'll make these tonight.

Sweet! Let me know how it comes out! :ban:

Got lazy but I'm boiling a porter tomorrow night. I'll get these in the oven while the porter's going. Was the 8oz(1 cup) for 1/2 the mix or all of it? 1 cup seems like not much liquid for a whole cake mix box.

8oz should be enough for the whole box. I use 6 for 1/2 the mix and think I should/could of held back. Just play it by ear and use enough to get all the ingredients wet. It honestly looks like 'normal' batter once you mix it up.

I'm just basing the liquid amounts on what SWMBO has told me. She thinks that 1 can of Diet Coke (12oz) is too much and uses from a 1/2 to 3/4 a can....

Latest posts

Back