to shake or not to shake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull

Reaction score
question is ,should i lightly shake my bottles of beer or not ,i had my beer in the secondary for about three weeks ,i added a little dry yeast to each bottle before i bottled it ,it looks like the yeast has dissolved or something cause its at the bottom of the bottle ,i tip ne of them over and then looked at the bottm of the bottle ,it looks as if the yeast has done something but what i dont know ,so ,if noone has an answer ,i guess ill just pop one open and see ,.bull

The yeast should be at the bottom in a mini yeast cake if it did its job and carbonated your beer. No reason to shake it up unless you open one and find that it's not really carbonated because the yeast flocculated too early. If that happens, don't shake, just gently turn it over and swirl a little to arouse the yeast a little.

Remember what happens when you shake a coke and then open it? Well, that happens with beer, too, you know! :D

Why'd you add yeast to the bottles, did you do something to kill the yeast that was still in there from your fermentation?

Shouldn't you have just added a little sugar to each one to feed the yeast that should still be alive in there?

Curious,
Matt

Don't feel dumb, we were all newbies once.

The first thing to do is to crack one open(after waiting the appropriate 2-3 weeks) and see if it is carbonated. If it is fine, then you know not to do anything.

Oxygen is in the bottle, that is why you do not want to shake it. Also a vigorous shake may blow the top off like a bottle of champagne.

And it is very seldom that you need to add yeast at bottling.

Lastly, drink the sediment, it is good for you.

thanks for the info ,your beer bud bull.
oh ,hey matt go back and read it again ,i lieft the beer that was fermented with a liquid in the secondary for 6 weeks ,i think all the yeast may have feel out ,but who really knows ,

thanks a bunch ,hey matt i left the beer in the secondary for6 weeks ,which i fermented with a liquid yeast ,ive done this with a wheat beer and i think all the yeast fell out ,cause it didnt carbonate ,but the beer still was really good ,but no carb,your beer bud bull.

bull said:
thanks a bunch ,hey matt i left the beer in the secondary for6 weeks ,which i fermented with a liquid yeast ,ive done this with a wheat beer and i think all the yeast fell out ,cause it didnt carbonate ,but the beer still was really good ,but no carb,your beer bud bull.
OK, sorry I missed that the first time through:eek:

prolly still enough in suspension after six weeks, but adding fresh will not hurt. when i repitch yeast at bottling i add it to the bottling bucket, not the individual bottles.

i wouldn't shake them up either.

Latest posts

Back