08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is such a big beer you can really take your time. Mine spent 1 month in primary and one month in secondary.

I just got mine in the carboy. Got 70% efficiency, not too bad for my second AG. This is a lot bigger beer than I have done before. How long should I let this sit in primary, secondary, and bottle?

Mine sat in the primary for 5 weeks then went to a keg and into the (winter) garage at around 50 degrees for 8 weeks. Then to the chiller for another 3 weeks.

what was the final recipe, im interested in making an RIS right after my IPA is done.

The link is right above this, in BierMuncher's signature. Where it says "Recipe thread".

WHOOPS. Thought I was in the Barleywine thread!!!!! One too many homebrews last night!

My bad!

Ok I have a quick question for you guys. I am planning on brewing this recipe this weekend, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Since I wasn't part of the original 8-8-8 swap, I was thinking about trying to get a higher OG. For this, would I just add more base malt or would I have to increase all the grains proportionally?

2. I have some US-05 sitting in the fridge right now. I am assuming this is an ok sub for 1056? Also, anyone know what ABV will kill this yeast (thinking about when I have to bottle)?

3. Did anyone rack their RIS on oak and bourbon? I am thinking about splitting up my batch when I do this, keep half as the initial recipe calls for and the other half with oak and bourbon. I was just hoping to hear how their RIS turned out after doing this.

1. I vote just increase the base malt. Perhaps bump the Chocolate Malt from .33 to .5 lb. But probably just more pale malt.

2. US-05 will work just fine. You will want to either pitch 2 packets, or make a starter from 1 packet (Shoot for at least 1 Liter).

3. PseudoChef's were aged 1 week on medium toast French Oak, and I really enjoyed the complexity it added. I know a couple other people oaked theirs, but I don't know whom.

Cheers!

As a bit of a thread bump, I just entered this beer in my first ever competition. Best in show includes, among other things, a fermenter from Mini-Brew. Wish me luck!

Just took first place at our club Oktoberfest contest (only 12 entries, but hey!, that's two wins with this beer).

Only one bottle left :( Time to brew again.

KD

Just took first place at our club Oktoberfest contest (only 12 entries, but hey!, that's two wins with this beer).

Only one bottle left :( Time to brew again.

KD

Well actually there were 11 entries. There were a couple of really nice beers, but yours was the real standout! I had a feeling it was your RIS, as I remembered it from the meeting you brought it to.

It was good to see you there! :mug:

Well actually there were 11 entries. There were a couple of really nice beers, but yours was the real standout! I had a feeling it was your RIS, as I remembered it from the meeting you brought it to.

It was good to see you there! :mug:

LMAO. I guess a guy can't tell a fish story around here :)

Yeah, it was good seeing you too Lars.

LMAO. I guess a guy can't tell a fish story around here :)

Yeah, it was good seeing you too Lars.

There was nothing fishy about your RIS, it sure left me wanting more! That would be a great camping beer, for cold nights around the fire. I'm going to have to try brewing a batch, switch it up from my usual oatmeal stout.

I hope you got a chance to try my agave cream ale, it was the top center tap. Nothing fancy, but I quite like it. Somebody else seemed to like it as well, I went home with an empty keg!

There was nothing fishy about your RIS, it sure left me wanting more! That would be a great camping beer, for cold nights around the fire. I'm going to have to try brewing a batch, switch it up from my usual oatmeal stout.

I hope you got a chance to try my agave cream ale, it was the top center tap. Nothing fancy, but I quite like it. Somebody else seemed to like it as well, I went home with an empty keg!

Yes, I tried it. I really thought it was good. very clean.

I think I might finally bite the bullet: I have a keg cleaned, and full of StarSan at home........ I think I might rack my Brett Razz RIS into a keg finally. It's been aging since Feb.

Wish me luck. And if I never return, the Brett probably went sentient, and used me for a host body in its quest to take over the world. You can play "boot-cockroach-nuclearbomb" for my brewing equipment - AFTER swmbo gets her pick.

I think I might finally bite the bullet: I have a keg cleaned, and full of StarSan at home........ I think I might rack my Brett Razz RIS into a keg finally. It's been aging since Feb.

Wish me luck. And if I never return, the Brett probably went sentient, and used me for a host body in its quest to take over the world. You can play "boot-cockroach-nuclearbomb" for my brewing equipment - AFTER swmbo gets her pick.

Just curious, do you use Brett frequently? I and other bug brewers have tricks for keeping our stuff separate. One thing I do is use pinlock kegs for bug beers.
Eventually, even gas side contamination can occur if not very careful. What did you primary in?

Sounds friggin' awesome!! Can I trade for some???

Nope, never used it before, and this isn't even a cultured yeast, it just popped up on its own. It's been primaried in plastic this whole time. But pictures / smell seem to indicate it's purely Brett, and not anything else. It's had a VERY healthy pellicle, the whole time.

I'll be double-Oxy-Cleaning the keg after the beer is into bottles, and all the BMBFing gear will get soaked and scrubbed as well. I'll also be replacing the O-Rings after the keg is empty, to be sure. (I bought in bulk from McMaster, so I have 300 Post o-rings, 200 dip-tube O-rings... but only a couple lid closure rings left.)

At least for gas-side contamination, I should luck out because this is only a 2.5 gal batch -- unless you're meaning airborne (not splashing) contamination. In that case. Um. Maybe I should burn my brewery down after drinking it? :p

Sure thing - I'll PM ya as soon as I have it carb'ed.

Also ... I've been debating... should I try to carefully remove the pellicle with a metal spoon before racking it to the keg? I'm worried about excessive debris since the pellicle never dropped. I will be racking through the fermenter's spigot, not through a racking cane FWIW.

As far as using Brett in the future..... I plan to do a Brett Saison sometime this winter, so I can age it. (This may be the Winter Of The Saison, I think I want to make 3 or 4 batches of them.)

Nope, never used it before, and this isn't even a cultured yeast, it just popped up on its own. It's been primaried in plastic this whole time. But pictures / smell seem to indicate it's purely Brett, and not anything else. It's had a VERY healthy pellicle, the whole time.

I'll be double-Oxy-Cleaning the keg after the beer is into bottles, and all the BMBFing gear will get soaked and scrubbed as well. I'll also be replacing the O-Rings after the keg is empty, to be sure. (I bought in bulk from McMaster, so I have 300 Post o-rings, 200 dip-tube O-rings... but only a couple lid closure rings left.)

I am concerned about your bottle filler. If I recall correctly, they are made mostly of plastic with lots of hiding places. I think you are taking a big risk using that for dual purpose filling. You might consider bottle conditioning. What gravity did this get to?

Do you think it *will* bottle condition? Sprinkle a bit of S-05 in with it to fix that? ... Compound those worries with the use of a 2nd bucket to bottle from........ I'm already planning to throw out one bucket after this is done.... I guess, would I rather lose a picnic tap or a bucket? Hmm. I don't know the answer.

I haven't taken a FG. I'm pretty sure it's too shallow for the hydro to float in ... and I'm trying to avoid pulling it into a sample tube because, well, I have only 2 gallons of it. (Evaporation from being in plastic.)

I know - I'm concerned about the bottle filler too.... I'm just praying that with a short contact time, and sufficient OxyCleaning (or even bleaching) afterwards, that I might be OK. I have two picnic taps, FWIW. (One's a 3-foot, the other is a 6-inch)

Well, I have another batch of 8-8-8 boiling right now. Just pitched a JPA with WY cask ale yeast. First double header for me. Fun day!

Any updates on this? Anybody won any competitions? Anybody still have any left?

Mine took second in Stouts and 4th overall in best of show last Spring.

I entered a couple bottles in a holiday competition. Didn't place, but overall score was a 42. (There must have been some kick@ss beers in that category)

Any updates on this? Anybody won any competitions? Anybody still have any left?

Makes a great chocolate cake:

DSC01277.JPG

DSC012861.JPG

I still have about 16 12 ozers left.

I have ten bombers left. Mine wouldn't really stand a chance at competition since the carbonation is too low, but it's very tasty.

I had made 10 gallons to start with i bottled 5 gallons back in july of 2008 and it was gone very fast everyone loved it. I know Have 5 more gallons still in the secondary i think its about 1 1/2 years old know. I'm going to bottle it soon, its going to be some good stuff. :rockin:

I drank my last bottle of the 888 RIS earlier tonight and loved it! Luckily there's still a bomber from PaulTheNurse in my fridge... :D Think I'll brew another of these on New Year's Day!

I found one more bomber that I re-hid from myself. Can't wait to give this one a try. Don't think I can wait until my Birthday (8/8). Anyone else holding on to it?

Been a long time since I finished off my last bottle. Probably one of the best beers I brewed.

Back