Burner fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldawg

Reaction score
My propane burner decided last night to not want to heat well. Took forever to get to mash temps (was doing a cream ale brew in bag). Thought I could wait on it to boil, but it never got to temp. Maxed out at like 200F. Let it go for a while, about 2 hours, but no boil. New house and wife would kill me if I put it on our stove. This was 1230am, so no trip to the store. So my question is, what is the effect on my wort? Worth pitching yeast or not?:confused:

Isn't there some fringe train of thought out there about not boiling wort, just getting it up to 180 or something? Can't remember where I read that. I guess I'd pitch yeast and go for it.
Have you checked your orifice at the burner? Almost sounds like you've got some kind of restriction in there or something.
Good luck

I read something like that too, but wanted to get some other thoughts. Burner looks like some of the openings are not working. It is 20 years old, so might be time for a new one.

Without getting a full boil, I'd be concerned about DMS. You could pitch and proceed as normal, but keep your expectations low on this one. It may turn out all right, or it might not. Only one way to find out.

I half expected to open the thread and see a picture of someone missing their eye-brows. Glad that's not the case!

Let us know how it turns out.

Hello, you already spent the money on the ingredients, If it were me, I would pitch and see how it turns out.

Dumping is always a waste, taking the chance on it? at the least you can dump it later, at best you made great beer.

Cheers :mug:

WileECoyote said:
Hello, you already spent the money on the ingredients, If it were me, I would pitch and see how it turns out.

Dumping is always a waste, taking the chance on it? at the least you can dump it later, at best you made great beer.

Cheers :mug:

Yea I'm going to pitch. Just wondered how bad it might be. Will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks.

Back