Any thoughts on this Pale Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer8700

Reaction score
I am looking at brewing a good solid summer pale ale. I have looked around and this is what I've come up with. I plan to mash the grains and am looking for thoughts and tips on mash time, or tools to figure that stuff out as well as thoughts on ingredients, or any random tips you may have.

8 oz. Carapils- Mash grains
12 oz. crystal 60L
8 oz. (Bairds light) Carastan
6 oz. Melanoidin Malt

5 lbs. extra light DME- 60 minute boil

2 oz. Palisade hops- 60 minute boil

1 tsp. Irish Moss- Add at 15 minutes left in boil

1 oz. Centennial hops- Add at 5 minutes left in boil
1 oz. cascade leaf hops- dry hop in secondary

Wyeast american ale yeast 1056

Thanks for all opinions.

To me these grains you want to mash seem off. More f a steep sort of thing you won't get many fermentables with the ones you have. How much gravity does just the 5ibs of extract get you?

So there is no need to mash these grains, simply steeping them would be fine? I was wanting to do more of a partial mash with more grains providing the fermentables and less extract, so what other grains would you suggest adding (or substituting) to the grain bill to make it worth mashing and give it more fermentables? I am still new to this, so I really don't know what my gravity would be at as the recipe is now.

If you are wanting to do a partial mash, I would cut the carapils out completely, and add 3# pale malt.
If I'm doing the math right in my head it should give you an OG of around 1.055.

I think BYO has a conversion chart that should help.
Just checked the numbers's and with 3# pale malt and 5# LME your OG should be 1.061.

I was planning on Dme, and not LME, how much will that change the gravity? Thanks for the help. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this recipe and the other ingredients?

All the grains you had selected in the initial recipe are steep-able, so I wouldn't forsee any issues with steeping them in a bag at 150-170, then proceeding with an extract batch. If you want to mash, you need some base malt (2-row, Pilsner, etc) to have provide starch and active enzymes to perform the mash. As-is, with 5# DME and all those steeping grains, you'll end up with a low-mid strength APA - somewhere around 1.048 OG (guessing off the top of my head), which would give you a decent strength beer after fermentation. If you're looking for a 7% abv beer, you're very much too low, but for an everyday pleasant pale ale, I think what you had originally would make an interesting and somewhat complex pale ale.

my rule of thumb when I was doing partial mash was to try to mash as much of the fermentables as I possible could with my equipment and then add the necessary extract needed to bring me to my target gravity

Back