Reverse osmosis Holding Tank, Installed in Keezer / Kegerator with Facet on Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzman003

Reaction score
I just bought the Watts Premier EX RO under counter water filter. I got this for a number of reasons, but mainly so that I don't have to buy spring water any more when I brew. It comes with a 3 gallon water tank which takes about 4-6 hours to fill, which is the reason for the tank. The RO process takes a while to complete so building up a usable amount for water needs to be stored.

As I was brainstorming ideas, I thought about storing the tank INSIDE my Keezer, and mounting the Faucet for the RO system to the top of my Keezer lid, then I would have fresh COLD water for drinking right out of the keezer. It would dispense both liquid bread and the cleanest water at the same time!

I would also be able to get big tubs and pots underneath it since there would be no sink in the way.

My question is - has any one had an RO system storage tank, placed far away (about 21 feet of tubing in my case to go around the outside of the kitchen and then up into the back side of the Keezer and then down into the stoarge tank) from the RO filter itself? How does it perform? Is there enough pressure from the RO system to fill the storage tank?

How would you run the tubing? Is there a better or specific type of water tubing I should use that is more malleable? I live on a military base so I would have to get permission to trench the tube to the back of the room and then replace the plastic tile. Is there a way to pull up cheap plastic tiles without breaking them, jackhammer the floor, re cement the floor, and then put back down the original tile?

I think going through the wall is out of the question since I would have to drill through the studs to get it back there and anything other than a small patch is above my pay grade. I don't have a basement or attic. I have a bathroom accross the hallway but I would have to route the filtered water line outside to keep the install clean and in the process drill 4 holes, two outside and two inside.

I think I am just going to run it along the front of the dishwasher, stove and cabinets and then along the wall. I think I can tuck it under the alliances pretty well but running it along the wall is going to be hard in the sense that it will be seen very easily. Are there any good conduits that someone can recommend? I attached two photos so you can see what I'm working with.

Again, my primary reason for asking is if any one knows or has a similar setup that the RO system storage tank and faucet still works, with the tank and faucet being far (21 feet) away from the filter. Also to see if you guys come up with any better ideas. I don't mind having some tubing visible to people; this is base housing and they are tearing it down soon anyway.
Not that I don't take pride in where I live; but lets be real - At least I have a gated community!

Thanks for the help!

photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

You can barely see the tube. Only on the short side of the wall. I hid it through the front of the dishwasher and drilled through the wood that separates each appliance.

Here's a photo of in between the stove and dishwasher. You can't see it from the dishwasher because the tube is inside the front panel.

Looks like you got it figured out, I'm a little late to this thread. I have an RO system plumbed to my kitchen sink that is 50+ feet from the RO system. The system is in my utility room. I used the same kind of polyethylene tubing that you did. It's been installed for about 8 years now with no problem.

I can't imagine why anybody would not have an RO system to brew beer! Now...I have to envy your keezer. Perhaps it's time for a project...

I wish I would have seen your post earlier. I do RO and soft water for a living. Looks like you got it done pretty nicely though. I have to ask, where is your RO spigot?

The spigot is on the sink in the corner. The reasons I didn't add it to the top or on the keezer were for two reasons. One, the faucet would be mounted to the top lid, which gives the advantage of instant ice cold water. The disadvantage, however is that I can't open the lid all the way like I can now. That's why I off set my taps so that I can lift a heavy keg over the wall with a fully open lid and no taps or lines in the way. The second reason is that there is no main drain, so I would have to empty a collector. Another nominal reason, was that I couldn't wash vegetables or rinse my dishes with the water (for spot free drying) without a full sink. Works really good! Super ice cold water in 20 seconds. Cold water in 10.

haha All points I was wandering about. That is exactly why I asked where it was. It could be nice mounted on a keezer, but quite cumbersome. And, like you said, not really good for all that RO water can be used for. I tell at least 1 customer a day to use their RO for rinsing their wine and beer glasses for spot free. Most are like, "Oh, yeah! I would never have thought of that!!"

Still, good job on the tubing run. Once you get it figured out it isn't as hard as most people try and make it out to be.

Back