Yeast Suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke_M

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I've decided to do a Rouge Dead Guy Ale AG clone and have found a couple of recipes to go by. However, these recipes class for a Wyeast strain called PacMan (Wyeast #1764) that I've had a hard time finding. My normal brew suppliers (Northern, Midwest, and Brewmasters) do not carry this strain. I found it (and ordered it) from Rebel Brewer. It cost me more than $20 after shipping for one pack of yeast! Are there other suppliers for yeast or is it just so expensive because this was a specialty strain?
Happy Brewing!

I've used US-05 on the DG clone I made a while back, turned out pretty good. I've recently cultivated pacman from a bottle (this last week), I've yet to brew with it, can't say how it will turn out. Yet... ;)

Go check the stores for Rogue ales. Look for one with some sediment, and cultivate it. I've done it a few time from bottles of 'Yellow Snow".

Here is how it works with the distribution of Rogue's yeast. Rogue licensed BrewCraft to make official clone kits of several of their beers. BrewCraft is one of the four big homebrew wholesalers that many of your small local homebrew shops buy the bulk of their inventory through. Only LHBSs that buy through BrewCraft can get the Pacman yeast, and even then they can't buy it straight from Wyeast but only through BrewCraft. So you are much more likely to find Pacman through your small LHBS than through the internet giants.

Here is a list of BrewCraft's retailers:

http://www.brewcraftusa.com/find_retailer.html

Edit: Oh, and occasionally Wyeast will release pacman as part of their "Private Collection" program but it has been a couple years.

Edit2: As to cost, the wholesale price for Pacman isn't a lot higher than for other strains. More than half of the $20 is shipping.

Back