240v LED wiring - need fuses/resistors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been addressed before, couldn't find a direct answer using search.

About to start my build using this diagram:
Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d6.jpg

The only thing I was going to add was an LED indicator lamp to show when the element was actually firing. I was planning on using a 240v LED from Auber.

I was planning on running 2 additional hot lines after the contactor to the LED light.
Do I need to put some kind of fuses or resistors in line to protect the lamps?
Or can I just use smaller wire and go straight to the LED lamps assuming they will only pull the current they need and that the high power won't "blow anything up"? :)

thanks for any input

The Auber page says they only draw 2W. At 240V that would be only 10mA, so you can use skinny wire, even 30 gauge, and it will be fine.

No need for resistors. Nothing should blow up.

In theory, everything should be fused properly, just in case it becomes shorted. So in theory you should have perhaps a .5 amp fuse as close to where you tap off the 240V as possible. However, at 240V, 26-gauge wire is its own fuse. Your mileage may vary.

Just use small wire from the contactor output to the lamp. No problem - no issues. It'll be just fine.

I hope you have great success with your build. Thanks for using the diagram.

P-J

Thanks again PJ for all your drawings. I've spent many hours looking over them and I've learned a lot.

Back