Feedback on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AU_Bob

Reaction score
Hope this is the right section of the forum. I'd really appreciate the feedback, this is my first original recipe attempt. Nothing fancy, but a little different take on an IPA.

Partial extract
Batch size 5 gal
Boil size 2 gal
8lbs light malt extract
1lbs light dme
1lbs American 2-row
2.5oz Chinook @ 60
1.5oz Centennial @ 45
1.5oz Chinook @ 30
1.5oz Chinook @ 15
.5oz Willamette aroma
14g Nottingham yeast*
OG 1.071
FG 1.012
~74 IBU
SRM ~8

Thanks for the help!

Extract - Cherokee IPA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 74
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: ~8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 68
Additional Fermentation: No
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 68

I'd really appreciate the feedback, this is my first original recipe attempt. Nothing fancy, but a little different take on an IPA.

Boil size 2 gal
8lbs light malt extract
1lbs light dme
1lbs American 2-row
2.5oz Chinook @ 60
1.5oz Centennial @ 45
1.5oz Chinook @ 30
1.5oz Chinook @ 15
.5oz Willamette aroma
14g Nottingham yeast*

Thanks for the help!

the 2-row wouldn't add anything. you really need a crystal for body and head retention. this would taste thin and have no head after a few seconds. i'd change the 2-row up for crystal 60

I would agree with the advice on the two row. If you want to try some grains, you could add some crystal for color/body/sweetness and/or some carapils for head retention (though not necessary if you add crystal). Or if you're looking to mash some grains, you could try some Vienna.

As for the hops, most people recommend a bittering addition at 60 to get the majority of your IBUs and the rest at 15 and below for flavor and aroma. Hops in the middle range (30-45 min) aren't very effective as bittering or flavor. Maybe something like this:

60 Chinook
15 Chinook
10 Chinook
5 Centennial

As for the Williamette, not sure, but it may get lost in the flavor of the other two.

definitely ditch the 2-row, whether you want to replace it with something else is up to you, but not totally necessary in an IPA. if you're using briess extract it'll have some carapils in it so you don't need to worry about body/head retention. other extracts may use carapils too, but im not sure.

id use something closer to tagz hop schedule and add in a dry hop

Thanks all, just what I was looking for. With the suggested hop schedule do I adjust the amounts to keep the ibu up there or keep it @ 2.5, 1.5, 1.5 and .5?

You might want to double check your IBU calculations. 2.5 oz of Chinook at 60 sounded like a lot so I punched it in and got 109 IBU from that addition alone.

I think shooting for the 70 IBU you have above would give you a good BU:GU ratio. Most people shoot for a 1 for an IPA so 1.070 OG and 70 IBU (70:70) would give you that. Anything above a 1 is pretty bitter. So take a second look at your calculations.

What program are you using? For a quick online calc, you could try beer calculus.

You might want to double check your IBU calculations. 2.5 oz of Chinook at 60 sounded like a lot so I punched it in and got 109 IBU from that addition alone.

its 109 at full boil, but hes only doing a 2gal so its only like 40IBUs.

Bob, def bump up the final addition or add in >1oz dry hop.

I have struggled with finding a reliable tool. I've been using hopville but will try beer calculus. As a mac user beer smith and Promash aren't available. Thanks again, very helpful stuff).

So I see beer calculus and hopville are one in the same. Which ibu calc do you suggest? With Tensith Im pretty close but with any other options I'm way high?

Try beeralchemy for your mac. Seems to be one of the better mac calculators. Download the 30 day free trial.

I have struggled with finding a reliable tool. I've been using hopville but will try beer calculus. As a mac user beer smith and Promash aren't available. Thanks again, very helpful stuff).

So I see beer calculus and hopville are one in the same. Which ibu calc do you suggest? With Tensith Im pretty close but with any other options I'm way high?

you can try this on the mac
http://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/reviews/
as far as ibu formulas, the advice I picked up from the guys on the brewing network was to pick one and just stick with it so you know what X# ibus taste like, then you can adjust your recipes based on how it tastes not really the # of ibu's. Does that make sense?

Guys all went well today with this recipe. Only a couple of rookie mistakes. First I took the og after pitching the yeast, just minutes so I hope that's no biggie. Here's what might be the biggest thing. The target og was 1.069 and the actual og was 1.062. Thoughts? It does fall within the min/max that beeralchemy calls for.

Back