Something that could sit for ~60 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
So I am visiting my brother and brought some of my beer brewing equipment with. We want to brew a beer but the next time I'll be back is in 2 months. So we are looking to brew something that a nice long while in the primary would turn out good.

His basement is right around 62 degrees and stays there almost all year round so that seems to me some type of ale although we could clear a fridge out and maybe lager something.

I feel that anything that would do well with 2 months in the primary (probably not secondary needed) would be something strong and big, but with summer approaching I don't think I want to go for anything big like that. Wheats I hear are best if only left for 2 or 3 weeks most.

Any recommendations? I'm all ears! Equipment wise I can do partial mashes and have been doing that. Collect about 2-3 gallons of mash and just ferment that, or top with another 2-3 gallons and add a few lbs of DME/LME in the boil to raise the gravity for the extra water. I have a 5 gallon boil pot so I am limited to how much I can boil.

Thanks!

I agree with the wheats not being ideal for 9 weeks, but just about any other ale or lager would be fine with a primary that long. Unless you swear by a secondary, just leave it for the two months and bottle.

I would recommend an Oktoberfest Ale using a Kolsch yeast. They like cooler fermentation temps but not as cold as lagering, plus they like to sit for 6-8 weeks to mellow.

My Imperial Stout kit from NortherBrewer recommended 1 month primary and 2-4 months in secondary(still in secondary now). I can't imagine giving it an extra month in secondary would hurt anything.

I'm by no means an expert but I would think a barley wine, or a double/tripel, or any other high gravity beer would be good choices as well.

Back