Greetings From New Member

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBONES

Reaction score
Illinois - Where our ex-governors make our license
Greetings to everyone at this wonderful forum. I have been lurking since the day after Christmas, and finally decided to register.

My name is Dan and I’m from Gurnee, Illinois. I’m in my mid-50’s and have always wanted to brew my own beer, but its something I never got around to doing. Toward the end of last summer, I was visiting my brother-in-law. It was a nice warm day, and he offered me a brew that was made by his son-in-law. I don’t remember what it was, but it was the best beer I have ever tasted in my life. I came home and related the story to my son (he’s 21) and never thought about it again.

Well, Christmas morning there is this big box under the tree, to Dad form Eric (my son). It’s a deluxe brewing kit from The Home Brewery, including a Wheat Ale Kit, A Red Ale Kit and a Hefeweizen Kit.

We started the Wheat Ale on 12/28/09. I checked it with the hydrometer on the 11th day and on the 13th day and got identical readings, so we racked it to the secondary yesterday. I’m planning on leaving it in the secondary for only about a week, then bottling. Since it’s a wheat beer, I want it to be just a bit cloudy, and from what I’ve been reading here, 2 weeks seems like a little too long in the secondary for a wheat beer.

We will be starting the Red Ale this afternoon. I already have a list of some more equipment I’ll be needing to keep this hobby going strong. I figure I’ll have my first bottle of my first brew about a month from today. I’m a patient person by nature, but the wait is already getting to me.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for the informative forum you already have going. I only hope I can be a contributor some day.

Dan

Congratulations. Not only is it a fantastic hobby, I can tell you it's a great way to bond with your son. My dad is my favorite brewing buddy.

Back