Who else is brewing today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersn024

Reaction score
My first attempt at a mini-mash is currently underway. I hit my mash temp on the button, but since I'm using a metal pot as my tun I'll probably have to re-heat or do an infusion half way through. I've still got to sparge and boil so my night is just getting started......

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. BTW I'm working on an SNPA clone.

Well the mash and sparge are done and I'm about 10 minutes away from the second hopping. So far so good.

Good luck, dude! I just did my first all grain brew last weekend. It took a long time from start to finish, but it was pretty cool. :) Have fun!

monk

I just pitched my yeast about 10 minutes ago. About three and a half hours from start to finish....not to shabby for a first attempt at a partial mash. My OG was right at 1.050 which is about .008 lower than the expected OG, but that could be due to not being mixed very well. Regardless with an expected FG of 1.014 should still be in the neighborhood of 5% ABV. Hopefully the Nottingham yeast will attenuate better.

I did taste the wort after reading SG and I have to say it was quite bitter. At first I thought it tasted a little burnt, however now I think that I was tasting the raw hops since there wasn't any carmelized junk on the bottom of the brew kettle after transferring to primary. The bitterness should mellow. I'll definitely take another sample when racking to secondary and let everyone know how it tastes.

I'm also brewing tonight, a partial grain. Specifically, I'm making Cheesefood's Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale. My first grain of any kind, so it's all touch-and go...

Can you actually reliably tell how your beer will turn out by the taste of the wort? Don't get me wrong, I love the smell, but correlating that to a particular flavor seems beyond my means at this point.

Cleaning Kegs this morning in preparation of kegging the Porter, Brown Ale & Apfelwein. I'll be doing a new batch of Apfelwein as soon as the carboy is empty cleaned & sanitized.

lorenz said:
I'm also brewing tonight, a partial grain. Specifically, I'm making Cheesefood's Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale. My first grain of any kind, so it's all touch-and go...

I'm brewing that this afternoon as well. I'm curious what partial mash grain bill you came up with. I went with:

4lbs 2-row
1lb wheat
1lb medium crystal
1/2lb dark crystal
1/2lb carapils
2lbs extra light DME
1lb Wheat DME
4oz lactose

lorenz said:

Can you actually reliably tell how your beer will turn out by the taste of the wort? Don't get me wrong, I love the smell, but correlating that to a particular flavor seems beyond my means at this point.

My pallette is unrefined so I really don't know how it'll turn out from tasting the wort. I was taking an OG reading and thought I'd drink what was in the tube as opposed to throwing it away. Anyway, like I said I think the bitterness was from the hops as opposed to anything being burnt like I originally thought.

I brewed a best bitter yesterday. Willamette hops to bitter, home grown goldings for flavor and fresh picked goldings for the aroma addition.
I had a fairly light crop of goldings this year so I wasn't able to use fresh picked hops for the flavor addition like I wanted. I'm thinking of cutting a rhizome from the goldings next year and starting it in a different spot in the backyard to increase my harvest.

Just started the mash for my porter. Now I got to go keg Dude's LWPA during the down time.

GIVE ME A K!!!!
GIVE ME A R!!!!
GIVE ME AN A!!!
GIVE ME A U....er I mean E.....no U was right.....awe, forget it.

Anyway, there's krausen or however it is spelled on top of my beer. This is my first use of a bucket as a primary and let's just say the lid doesn't seat very well. Being a little paranoid that the yeast wasn't working I took a little peek under the lid (I know go ahead and flame me about sanitization) and there was quite a bit of foam on top of the wort.

Houston....We have beer!

Well, I figured out where the CO2 was escaping from and fixed the problem with some weights on the bucket lid. Now the air lock is bubbling away like crazy.

Sister-in-law is in town, threw a wrench in the spokes so can't brew this weekend but I plan to brew a brown ale next weekend. My first brown ale in quite some time so really looking forward to it but after reading the Chai Porter that Captian Willard is drinking I may need to try something new.

I brewed last night. Couldn't find my damn whirflock, so Im made a blonde without it. Im actually interested to see what the diference will be.

I pitched at 4:30 pm. I was bubbling away at 8:15. Thanks for the stirplate Yuri!!!

I just pitched a batch of Flat Ass Tired, and I am. First batch since March. In the mean time, I've picked up a real burner, hooked up a charcoal filter, changed to a braided sparge outlet, and found a refractometer. Swap meets, garge sales, $50. Had to acid bath the green stuff off my immersion cooler. First time with liquid yeast too. First starter didn't work. Second did. Never had to waste a batch with the old gear, though I'm hoping for some great stuff this time.

We'll see in a couple weeks...

No brew this weekend. When I got back from vacation last weekend I had three brews in primary and one in secondary. Need to take a breather for a week or so and get all of these carboys emptied!:D

Back