Brewers Best IPA- Help with modifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonzoIllini

Reaction score
i have a brewers best IPA kit, but i wanted to make it a little stronger and increase the hop bitterness and flavor / aroma. the original kit comes with

6.6 lbs light liquid malt extract
1 lb crushed crystal malt (60 L)
8 oz crushed victory
2 oz cascade (6.3 AA) (bittering) (60 min boil)
1 oz cascade (6.3 AA) (flavor) (5 min boil)
Nottingham dry yeast

to this i bought 1 lb light dry malt extract and 1 oz of 12 AA Simcoe.

My question is what is the best hop schedule for these ingredients?

I was planning on using the oz of Simcoe and an oz of Cascade at 60 min, a 1/2 oz of Cascade at 30 min, 1/2 oz of Cascade at 5 min and a 1/2 oz of Cascade at 1 min and use the last 1/2 oz of Cascade for dry hopping.

I have tried plugging this into a few different beer calculators, but I dont completely understand how to use them yet.

I am going to be doing a partial boil of 3 gallons and all these hops are in pellet form. Also i will probably put in the liquid extract at the beginning of the boil and the lb of dry extract near the 10 min mark.

What do you all think? any better ways to use the hops than what ive laid out?

Thanks and Cheers!

Dry Hop the Simcoe and use the cascade .5 at 15 and .5 at 10

Yah, keep 2 oz. at 60 and use the other oz. as described. Simcoe is an outstanding dry-hop. Swap out your extract addtions to 1 lb. DME for 60 minutes and the liquid with 10 minutes to go. Make sure you remove the pot from the heat and stir it in good before returning it to boil. This should help with AA utilization and decrease caramelization(lighter colored and less sweet).

I would say to save the Simcoe for dry hopping.
Follow the original hop schedule.
You don't want to change too many things in a recipe the first time, because if it goes "wrong" you won't know where.
Also, I agree with cuinrearview about the extract.
Cheers :mug:

As the others have said, dry-hop with the Simcoe. I did the BB HopNog IPA and dry-hopped it with Simcoe. The result was out of this world.

Back