Catamount 8 Lives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scwitt

Reaction score
does anyone have a recipe for 8 lives? It was brewed by the Catamount Brewerey in Windsory, VT. and was bought by Harpoon a number or years ago.
Thanks.

Is Steve Mason still alive? I have a friend that used to work with him in WRJ at the old facility. I'll check around. I remember most of their beers, but oddly enough I don't recall this one. What was it?

in all honesty i had it before i knew much about beer so i just remember how good it was and found some reviews on other sites that have rejuvinated my memories of it....it was very light and floral, it was labeled as an APA but was much less hoppy and heavier on the malt-although it was very light sweet and floral. It was definatly a "summer brew" and and had a crisp clean crisp hoppy finish. Definatly nothing like the typical APAs.

It was labled as an "American Pale Ale" but was very similar to a pilsner.
It would chalange most of the summer ales out now.

does anyone have a recipe for 8 lives? It was brewed by the Catamount Brewerey in Windsory, VT. and was bought by Harpoon a number or years ago.
Thanks.

AFAIK all the Catamount beers were ditched by Harpoon shortly after they bought the brewery. That's very unfortunate IMO since the Catamount beers were superior to those from Harpoon. I remember fondly going to the original Catamount Brewery in White River Junction to have a tour, a tasting and buy a case. The original Catamount porter was a delicious beer. Harpoon did themselves and their customers a disservice by not brewing some of the Harpoon offerings.

I'm going to try to do some research on tracing the Catamount brew recipes. Catamount started in Randolph... where I have worked for the last 30 years. I'll ask around. S. Mason doesn't seem to be in the area any more... last references to him are from about 2000... the year Catamount went belly up.... after moving to White River and then Windsor.

I contacted harpoon and all they were able to tell me was that it was heavilly dry hopped with Simcoe.
i would still love to get the recipe though.

I am looking for the recipe of the Catamount x-mas ale. anyone know where i can find this?

Ah, I have a fond memory of visiting Catamount's little brewery in Vermont and buying a case of Amber Ale. Back in the late 1980s-early 1990s most of the microbreweries in New England were heavily influenced by styles of the United Kingdom. I recall a number of malty pale ales and amber ales, browns and stouts. Occasionally you would see an IPA but it's hop profile was less assertive than most APAs today (never mind the typical American IPA). I wish I did have some clone recipes of their beers but if you want to try, something with a malty UK style base would be a good bet. Stick with hops available 15+ years ago. English and German noble hops and older american varieties: EKG, Fuggles, Tettanger, Hallertau, Willamette, No. Brewer off the top of my head. Cascade was common too if you wanted a little of that.

The only thing I do still go have is a pint glass and seeing this thread inspired me to toast (see pic) this fine brewery. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417821763.655604.jpg

I have that same pint glass, I used to love the porter. Fond memories of the old brewery.

I loved Catamount. Visited the brewery before a few after they closed.

I would guess their house yeast was Ringwood but I can't confirm that.

I am looking for the recipe of the Catamount x-mas ale. anyone know where i can find this?
Did you ever have any luck finding Catamount Christmas Ale. I've been craving that beer ever since the last time it was on shelves in 1998.

Just an FYI, since I am a few years late to the discussion - in the several times I toured the White River Junction facility I was always told the yeast was proprietary. For what it's worth I also seem to recall being told it was derived from a champagne yeast. Granted those recollections are from 25 to 30 years ago, but at least still vivid - that bit of yeast starter on the stairs always stuck in my head.

Back