Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bellam87 said:
I've still have to get some propane hose to hook up the burners to my manifold, as well as a pump but aside from that it's done. Definately not as intricate as some of the others on here but it gets the job done!

that's how I made mine. gravity into the kettle works great.

I finished my single tier yesterday! (I only need to get some crimp connectors to connect the solenoids then it'll be functional)
af866988.jpg

Here is a close up of the control panel.
8f707dee.jpg

0afd8e55.jpg

and a close up of my gas manifold.
0864ede8.jpg

Once my QD's arrive I can take her out for her first run! Can't wait!

mmurray:

Can you let us know what you are using for the solenoid valves? Also is that a HP setup?

It looks great! Is that pipe painted or galvanized. If the latter you will want to swap it out. Propane and zinc don't play well together.. :(

I finished my single tier yesterday!

That is one bad-a$$ setup. If I lived in a realm where I could reach through the computer screen and start activating switches, I would. :D Love me some brightly colored switches and tech stuff...

...squirrel!!! :eek:

OneHoppyGuy said:
It looks great! Is that pipe painted or galvanized. If the latter you will want to swap it out. Propane and zinc don't play well together.. :(

It's black pipe that's been painted. Just out of curiosity, what is the downside to propane and zinc?

Simply set a post in the ground and then made my own burner attachments equally spaced around the post. I use propane and gravity on my brew days. Mash tun looks dirty but that is expanding foam I used in the lid because those lids are hollow.

The bags that are hanging are my hops pre measured and hung on nails that are labeled for what time they will be added.

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

I can't belive I made it to the end! Some amazing rigs here. I don't have any pics at this time, mine is just keggle HLT- Ice Chest MT- and keggle BK, all gravity fed with no formal stand. Looking forward to starting my next rig built on custom trailer. Just time and money. I've gotten some great ideas here though!

So I can't take a picture of it since all my equipment is up in Duluth, MN, and I still am living part time here in Colorado, but this is essentially how my electric brewery will be set up. Already have all the hardware built...just need to run a 220 line out to my garage.

Valhalla Brew System.jpg

I'm in the same boat.

I have a few items left to complete but brew day is right around the corner.

The fermentor is getting insulated tomorrow so the real test will be this weekend on how well the water fountain will work at maintaining a set temperature.

image-906232197.jpg

image-3640191086.jpg

I'm in the same boat.

I have a few items left to complete but brew day is right around the corner.

The fermentor is getting insulated tomorrow so the real test will be this weekend on how well the water fountain will work at maintaining a set temperature.

Wait..water fountain.. must hear more.

bucfanmike said:
Wait..water fountain.. must hear more.

Yup.

I Picked up a water fountain at a local restore for about 50. Then added a PID controller and a diaphragm pump ( good to 100 psi). I have about 50 ft of 1/4 copper coiled around my brewhemoth and will circulate the chilled water to maintain fermentation.

I just dropped the brewhemoth off yesterday at the local insulater to have it wrapped with 1" thick Armaflex.

I'll see if I can't post some more photos..

ForumRunner_20120720_063908.jpg

I can't belive I made it to the end! Some amazing rigs here. I don't have any pics at this time, mine is just keggle HLT- Ice Chest MT- and keggle BK, all gravity fed with no formal stand. Looking forward to starting my next rig built on custom trailer. Just time and money. I've gotten some great ideas here though!

Thats what I thought when I got to the end of this thread last summer! It sure is a great thread with TONS of awesome rigs!

welcome and look forward to seeing yours.

ScottSingleton said:
On my third brew day with the finally completed rig; all of the bugs are finally worked out and I can't be happier!

Looks good Scott. How's your rims working for you? I really am liking my new system but my efficiency took a dive from my 5 gallon system with a round cooler. I went from 81% down to 70%. I've also done 3 brews and will be doing another one in a few hours.

Looks good Scott. How's your rims working for you? I really am liking my new system but my efficiency took a dive from my 5 gallon system with a round cooler. I went from 81% down to 70%. I've also done 3 brews and will be doing another one in a few hours.

My efficiency took a hit too... I'm still fiddling with it but I think I'm circulating too fast and the grain bed is coning (i.e. forming a whirlpool cone) leaving a little a bit of grain that doesn't rinse as well.

I also think it is a switch from the 10 gallon round cooler and the 20 gallon stainless kettles. The kettles are so much wider that there is less wort above the grain bed. in my kettle 1 gallon amounts to just about 3/4" of clearance. With such a big setup this is amplified when only doing 5 gallon batches. 10 gallon batches work much better.

My last brew I added 1.5 gallons more water to the mash then Beersmith recommended to raise the water higher over the bed. While this left less for the sparge water (was a 10 gallon batch) I hit 84% efficiency.

ThreeBrothersBrewery said:
Got it up and running for brew day on Saturday.

Got the same filter on mine from home depot :). I'm ready for brew day just need get a new fridge or bottle rest in keezer/ferm chamber

mmurray:

Can you let us know what you are using for the solenoid valves? Also is that a HP setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290716195361?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I bought the solenoids from this place on eBay.

and yes it is high pressure. I am using a 30psi preset regulator, but I was having issues with burn out and come to find out it was the Green ACME Type1 coupling that had a flow control that was shutting the flow down because the system flows a lot of propane when all 3 burners are going. I swapped it out for a non- flow control POL and it works just fine now.

Yes it's black pipe that I painted to match the rig. I knew galvanized was bad... I'm also hoping the paint helps prevent rust from water and wort spilling on it later.

That is one bad-a$$ setup. If I lived in a realm where I could reach through the computer screen and start activating switches, I would. :D Love me some brightly colored switches and tech stuff...

...squirrel!!! :eek:

Thanks, I'm like lights and switches too! LOL One of my favorite features of it is the way I wired in the light on the TCU solenoid switches (green ones) the switch can be on, but the light only comes on when the solenoids are open so it's a double check... If I look down and see the lights on but don't see or hear the burner going I know I need to check the burner/pilot light/solenoid for issues.

One last issue that I am dealing with is I have to build a grate or some thing to lift the kegs up off the frame to give the burners some exhaust room. Right now, I can't run the burners full out because the flames end up billowing down around all the connections and the system becomes air starved.

Still adding some finishing touches like 3 piece ball valves for the outflowing side of the pumps, an inline oxygenator on the wort out side of the chiller, etc.

Stand is designed to accommodate my current 15, 15, 20g kettle setup as well as larger kettles if I expand in the future.

Single Tier Brewing Stand 003.JPG

Single Tier Brewing Stand 015.JPG

ThreeDogsNE said:
There we go! I like picture #2. It's not really a brew rig until you've burned off some of the shiny paint actually boiling some wort!

Yeah the paint did not stick that well but it's maiden brew was awesome.

ThreeBrothersBrewery said:
What is that running up the right front side? Is it a water filter?

It is a water bath for a hydrometer jar. Cools a sample from near boiling to a manageable temp in minutes. Water enters through the hose at the bottom, flows around the hydrometer jar, and spills out the top. Works great as long as you don't drop your thermometer into the jar and crack it. Now I need a new hydrometer jar. Preferably unbreakable and without a base.

Back