Clearing, cold crashing, viable yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on an American Amber and I've been working more and more with alot of cold crashing in secondary to help clearing. My only concern is if I use safale 05 if enough viable yeast will remain in suspension to naturally carbonate after I spend a couple days around 40°F.

I've found no draw backs to adding a little dry yeast at bottling. I see only advantages, what could it hurt? I usually cold crash at 31 for a week. I bottle it cold with primer calculated at the highest temp the beer has been and just sprinkle in a little dry yeast as it racks into the bottling bucket then stir it well before bottling. I think the longest it ever took to fully carbonate was 10 days for a 8% IPA. With careful racking there is very little sediment in the bottles.

I bottle cold and prime for the highest temp the fermenter has rested at. One time when I allowed a lager to warm up the off gassing of CO2 stirred back up the yeast by the time I bottled it. It cleared back up in the bottles but I ended up with more sediment than I'd like.

Latest posts

Back