Stock and storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of what I want to keep in stock and how to keep it. What ingredients do you veteran brewers keep on hand, and how do you store it?

I was thinking the things to have on hand would be:

Common hops (cascade, for instance)
Certain specialty grains
Dextrose
Yeasts

Is there anything else that should be kept on hand? hat do you use to store it, tupperware containers?

I brew all-grain, so I always keep 2-row malt and some crystal malts (20 and 60) on hand. I keep 2-3 pounds of dry malt extract around, too, in case my gravity is lower than I want. A mixture of my favorite hops are stashed in the freezer, and I always have a few packets of Safale-05 yeast in the fridge. Finally, I always have some iodophor on hand for sanitizing. With those items, I can always brew something tasty!

I keep grains and DME bagged and stored in tightly-sealed plastic buckets.

Greg

If you are going to store grains, it's best to get them uncrushed, as crushed grains do not store well.
Dry yeasts last for at least a year, but liquid yeasts don't store well.
DME stores well, but LME degrades over time.
I don't bother with dextrose. I use table sugar instead. (I only use it for priming).

What do I store?
About 50 - 150 lbs whole grain of various types
A few pounds flaked barley and flaked corn
6 - 10 lbs DME
Some dry yeast for emergencies
A whole bunch of hops
Spare carboys, bungs, airlocks, and plastic tubing
A good supply of sanitizers
Harvested yeasts for a short term. (up to about 3 months)

How do I store them?
Grains, flakes and DME. In a pet food container in the basement. I used to use Rubbermaid containers till the mice found it!
Yeasts. In the fridge
Hops. Vacuum sealed bags in the freezer.
Miscellaneous. In the brewing cupboard.

-a.

I do AG also Base grains go in the "Homer" HD buckets Specialty grains I bought some of those plastic food storage container with the screw on lids. Hops in the freezer Yeast in the fridge. I keep a few lbs of DME for starters in a Tupperware container and the same goes for Dextrose since I bottle

Back