Pouring from bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxford brewer

Reaction score
I have started drinking an IPA that has been in the bottle for 5 weeks.
When i pour the ale(nice and gently)it has good clarity...but...if i dont want the sediment from the bottom of the bottle i lose about 1/10th of the beer(totally unacceptable:tank: ).
Is this amount of sediment the norm?(if it is i will just keg from now on:confused: )

When I'm pouring an HB I'm careful to leave about a tablespoon of beer in the bottle. Then I drink the sediment straight out of the bottle.
You don't say what you're priming with, how much, or what size bottles you use.
If you're using 3/4 cup of corn sugar with 12 oz. bottles you shouldn't have more than a teaspoon or so of sediment.
Jeff

Thanks for the input BOSTONBREWIN'(do you really drink the sediment from the bottle?........if so ,how's your arse ?????????:ban: ) .
I use 100g of corn sugar(dissolved in 250ml boiled water),placed in bottling bucket,then rack the brew(5g's..UK measure) on top,making sure that the beer swirls around to get the priming solution mixed:ban:.
i really dont like drining sediment....i know that it wont hurt you,but it makes it getting to far from the bog a game of "survivor" the REAL GAME.:p

unless you filter your beer you will have sediment. its just part of brewing your own. i leave behind a good amount each time. do that when youre racking, not worrying about whether youve lost a few beers along the way, and it will be remarkably more clear.

You seem to have a fair bit of sediment there Oxford - do you rack to secondary? Also what size bottles do you use?

bottles are 500ml,and as of yet i dont rack to a secondary(may change when birthday comes along).
Cheers for help

I've used a secondary from the start and have had little yeast on the bottom of my bottles. A light dusting, which usually sticks to the bottom. It is worth the wait to use a secondary.

Using a secondary certainly drops more sediment out before you bottle - it should be top of your birthday hint list! Until you get one just be careful syphoning and as drengel said don't worry about getting every last bit out - better to sacrifice a few pints at bottling time than to open the rest of your bottles with excess sediment and waste even more overall.

oxford brewer said:
bottles are 500ml,and as of yet i dont rack to a secondary(may change when birthday comes along).
Cheers for help

That would be about right then. I only brewed a few without a secondary. As others have said, adding a secondary does clear things up a bit.

The secondary is definitely a must have.

As for what's left in the bottom of the bottle - drink it, it's good for you (yeast are full of b vitamins). Of course the yeast do some fermenting or something in my stomach as it sometimes causes a bit of gas.. fortunately it's not the offensive smelling variety :ban:

Latest posts

Back