Explosive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What causes it? id say a sold 50% of my beers blow their top..... its not a big deal as long as you look! but its annoying and messy, how do i stop this? is that why people make starters?

Starters still result in vigorous fermentation, depending on the yeast type. A blowoff tube will prevent blowing the top and the mess that follows.

i have only 6.5 gallons carboys. and Ive never made a starter, never saw the need..... and I have a blowoff tube for if (when) they blow... just kinda wierd! do other peoples beers not explode a lot?

i have only 6.5 gallons carboys. and Ive never made a starter, never saw the need..... and I have a blowoff tube for if (when) they blow... just kinda wierd! do other peoples beers not explode a lot?

I have this Blue Moon clone that will have very vigorous fermentations whereas wheats and stouts don't. I made a Kolsch last month and it went crazy.

I ferment at 65° in 6 gallon better bottles...I've never had any krausen getting into the airlock, and I've never needed a blow-off tube. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe the carefully controlled temperature keeps things under control.

I just got done cleaning up a slight mess. I brew 8 gallons in a wine tun that holds about 9.5 to 10 gal. I have a blowoff hose made from the bottom part of a 3 piece with the little X clipped off the bottom. This is the first time it's popped the top using a blowoff tube. I brewed a stout using S-04 dry yeast but just 1 pkg. Every fermentation just seems to be a little different. Well anyway, thanks to the people on this forum, I knew just what to do. Clean and sanitize everything and not panic. I'm just a little leary of leaving this bad boy alone! But I think he'll be good now.:D:D

I ferment at 65° in 6 gallon better bottles...I've never had any krausen getting into the airlock, and I've never needed a blow-off tube. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe the carefully controlled temperature keeps things under control.

crap i was just at home depot and was gonna get a thermometer, to see how cold is was in my basement (im thinking its about 65.... but im not sure)

Never say never. :) It's a sure fire way of guaranteeing that you will get one. :D
Like I've never broken a carboy (until last week), and I've never had a blow off in a 6.5g carboy (until a couple of months ago, when I got two back to back). I also always get 85% efficiency, until today, when it suddenly dropped to 72%. Time to check the refractometer and thermometer. :(

-a.

I recently started using Fermcap-S and blow-off is now a thing of the past. Fermented a hefe in a 5 gallon carboy with no problem at all.

you know, I just had a second one blow.... too bad i only have one blow tube :(

grrr. also realized now that im up to 8 fermenter i need to start labeling them...

Never say never. :) It's a sure fire way of guaranteeing that you will get one. :D

Yeah, I'm probably tempting fate! Of course I've never broken a hydrometer either, so maybe I lead a charmed life. :D

It helps that I generally don't make really big beers. My highest OG ever was 1.065, and they are usually no higher than 1.050. I'm not a big fan of hefe or other wheat beers either, so that is a factor too.

I've also used ferm-cap in the boil with my last five batches. I don't add it to the fermenter, but maybe the benefits carry over from the boil. I definitely get a nice healthy krausen, just nothing out of control.

I've also used ferm-cap in the boil with my last five batches. I don't add it to the fermenter, but maybe the benefits carry over from the boil. I definitely get a nice healthy krausen, just nothing out of control.

I tried adding it just to the boil and still got blow-off. Now I add it to both and problems are gone. Stuff is magical.

I tried adding it just to the boil and still got blow-off. Now I add it to both and problems are gone. Stuff is magical.

I love that I can get my kettle boiling full tilt, and not worry a bit about boil-overs. Leaves me free to take care of other brewing tasks...cleaning, sanitizing, kegging previous batches, etc.

The correct dosage is a little hard to determine. It's impossible to count "drops" since the stuff is so thick and goopy. I'm just kind of guesstimating, but everything seems to turn out OK.

perfect, I just went to check on the beer, just in time to see my 3rd batch of the weekend blow. i put the blowoff in that one, cuz I figure it will be the biggest,......

I was brewing a Hobgoblin (English ale) clone and I had a blow-up. I cleared up the mess and continued fermenting for a total of 3 weeks.

I tasted the beer when I bottled it and it tasted a bit sweet. I am guessing
it's incomplete fermentation.

Any other ideas ?

Hey Clap: Man you make a lot of brews!! How much head space are you leaving? A blow-off should only last 1-2 days. I just want to add that blow-off tubes can become stuck if hops(pellets or whole) are not removed. These can clog up your hose. Back in the day I had a clogged blow-off and what a mess. Wife was pissed, cleanup took hours. Just like you it hit the ceilings, walls, curtains, whatever was in its path. If you don't remove the hops use a large blow-off that is the size of your carboy opening(~1"). Charlie

Charlie, yeah , I moved and didnt brew for about a month and half, mixed with parties and all I have left now is my wit which isnt carbonating, so im restocking :)

Ive never had a blow off tube get stuck, I usualy make 5 gallons in a 6.5/ and yeah ive had some messes :)

Latest posts

Back