Pouring bottles into keg, any pitfalls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
I have my kegging equipment just sitting there and my new batches are a few weeks out from being ready so I was thinking I might polish off an old batch by carefully pouring out the bottles into the keg and serving it that way. I'm thinking I could shoot some CO2 in there to kind of sit on the bottom of the keg and rise up with the beer. If I carefully pour the bottles down the side or try to fill from the liquid level I should be able to minimize splashing/oxidation. What do you think? Worth trying or forget about it?

I think it's a bad idea. You've got your old batch safely tucked away in bottles, why would you expose it to risk? Just for the sake of using your new gear?

Hang tight, those few weeks will pass quickly. While you wait, continue to enjoy your beer...from the bottles! :mug:

I planned pretty close batch wise for when I was getting my keg equipment together. My hefe got to sit an extra week before I got my keg stuff completely gatherd but man it's awesome! welcome to the club!

Maybe you can find a brewpub that will fill your keg for you to tide you over until your ready to fill with your brew. Just an option to consider.:)

My vote for what its worth...configure the kegerator to accept sanke's as well as cornies...tap a store bought sanke tomorrow then you'll have plenty of time to age/brighten your beer. Keg dealers round here will give you the sanke equip on deposit. If you have to purchase, it'll prob. run you around $30-50 plus the cost of the beer. If you don't care to reconfigure the kegerator...buy a sixtel and transfer it to a corny. Granted this is work...but if it's fun...go for it!

I sympathasize...it must be killing you looking at the new gear.

Mike

Back