Brew time to drinkability time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruster

Reaction score
I just got an email from Elysian Brewing Co. here in the Seattle area...one of the things they mentioned was that they would be brewing their holiday ale (BiFrost - very good) this week...and that it would be released in the first week of November. That's barely a month for brewing, fermenting, conditioning, bottling, and serving...and that's for a winter warmer.

So why in the heck are my beers "green" for at least 6 weeks from brew day, and usually more like 8?

you sure they're not kegging? maybe they force carbonate the bottles? there's no way they could have it on yeast in the bottle and get it done that fast.

is it meant to be kept for a year? some of those weird holiday ales can be opened a few right away, then let the remainder age, and you'll get a nice change in profile.

uglygoat said:
is it meant to be kept for a year? some of those weird holiday ales can be opened a few right away, then let the remainder age, and you'll get a nice change in profile.

I would have thought so, but the way the email is worded...here's what it said:

>>We are brewing this season¹ first two batches of Bifrost Winter Ale next
week. Look for a first of November release.

"This season"??

It's over 6% and VERY smooth so I can't imagine it being ready that quickly...

I dunno, I just made a 6% ABV porter that is smooth and drinkable after a 1 week primary 1 week secondary and 1 week in the bottle.

granted I'm sure it'll 'clean up' after a few more weeks, but yeah, some brews are great when they are young, or aged.

When you crash-cool, plate-filter and then artificially carbonate your beer, there's not the same worry about "greenness". Personally, my beers taste "ready" when I'm racking them into the bottling bucket...but it's the bottle fermentation that introduces the greenness for the most part.

One of the processes that a brewery can use to speed conditioning (and I don't know if this was used) is to run the fermented beer through a column packed with yeast in the post-ferment stage. This removes many of the byproducts left by the fermenting yeast. Diacetyl and acetalhyde are the two most common.

Sea said:
If you figure the secret out, let me know, cause i'm with you. 6 weeks min before it really starts tasting good, and I keg!

I hear ya. It's more like 8 weeks from brew day for me.

Latest posts

Back