citrus hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstewy2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows of a hop, or hop combination, that I could use to get a citrus-y taste, without getting that grapefruit flavor. I apologize in advance for any hurt feelings, but I'm really getting tired of this whole grapefruity IPA business. Why can't we have orange, tangerine, blood orange, etc. flavors from a hop.

If anyone knows a good way to get what I'm looking for, please share with me. The closest I've come, is by using the lighter hops for the boil and finishing/dryhopping with the more intense ones. But it still isn't quite what I'm aiming for.

(maybe throwing orange peels in secondary could work, but I'm not sure what the oils would do to the head retention.)

Thanks in advance,
-Ryan

No responses? Well, I've heard and tasted good things about Citra hops. While 'grapefruit' is one of the flavor/aroma descriptors of this strain, there are a lot of other descriptors too. I just brewed an IPA with primarily Citra (with a little chinook and centennial). I'll tell you how it is as soon as I unclog my keg...

Also, throwing in orange peels won't hurt your head retention. I believe most wits are brew with orange peel additions. I used an ounce of dehydrated bitter orange peel and the whole peel of a fresh sweet orange in the only wit that I've done, and had good head retention.

Just did a Citra/Galaxy pale ale that won first place at the local homebrew comp (out of 18 entries). Great sweet citrus fruit but not the nasty bitter grapefruit. Did 50/50 split between the two hops. All late addition, 20, 10, 5, 1 and a dry hop for a week.

Yes, Citra will give you citrus. Also, Summit will give you a strong Tangerine flavor under the right circumstances. You won't know if it will give you tangerine or garlic until you taste it. If it gives you garlic, it will likely age into tangerine. Nelson Sauvin gives a citrus/tropical flavor, as do several other New Zealand hops relatively new to the market (Rakau, Pacifica, Southern Cross, Wakatu).

I think Citra is more tropical than citrusy.....cascade is pure citrus

I would only use Citra in you dry hop I'm one of the many people,that get a strange musk taste when using Citra in my boil....FYI

Galaxy is pretty awesome....for fruity....papaya and passion fruit

I've also enjoyed Belma ($5 a pound) I get the slight pineapple and strawberry notes as it ages

I made a wheat beer last year and used the zest of 4 large navel oranges and added it at 10 and left it in for the whole primary. I made a amirillo and Citra IPA but it had that grapefruit aroma but more citrus flavor turned out nice.

I recently brewed an APA that was bittered with Magnum (60mins) and used roughly 28g each of Citra, Centennial, and Cascade at 5mins. Dry hopped with 14g each of the same three (while doing diacetyl rest)...love it!

I find that it has a "richer citrus" flavour profile than using a single hop. I say blend away!

I've seen pacifica described as orange marmalade. Used them 2 weeks ago so I couldn't say for sure yet.

Pretty good! Definitely a distinct flavor. I bittered with .40 oz magnum and .75oz centennial at 60 (all I had on hand, it was a spur of the moment batch when snow cancelled classes for the day, named it appropriately "snow day IPA"). Used .50oz amarillo at 15, 1oz pacifica at 10, 1oz citra at 7, .50oz amarillo at 2.

93% MO, 3% C40, 2% C120. Mashed at 152*. The amarillo didn't produce much of the grapefruit flavor which is nice, the citra was a bit overbearing with the pacifica though, might try moteuka or cascade next time. pitched a 1056 slurry, might try london ale next time for some fruitiness. Overall, I liked it a lot, from the pacifica I got a nice, soft, orangey flavor, not as strong as i had hoped, but the citra really showed it up. Will definitely use these hops again, but with more forethought to balancing the other varieties with it.

named it appropriately "snow day IPA").
I like the name!
I'm getting a big family request for a "Citrus/Orange Wheat". I wanted to introduce a citrus note from the hops with a little orange zest/coriander at end of boil. I want the hops to shine through, as an introduction to my "Blue Moon" drinkers. They always associate hops with bitter.

I too am getting a requests for a orange wheat type homebrew. Though, with the summer coming up, I can't really complain. Anyone post a good new recipe?

GetSudz said:
I like the name!
I'm getting a big family request for a "Citrus/Orange Wheat". I wanted to introduce a citrus note from the hops with a little orange zest/coriander at end of boil. I want the hops to shine through, as an introduction to my "Blue Moon" drinkers. They always associate hops with bitter.

Taking a note from my IIPA I was thinking of trying a wheat with similar properties as your requests. I would hop it up with chinook, Amarillo and Cascade just in lower amounts, probably around 20-30ibus hop bursted. My IIPA is like one giant citrus bomb at 10.6%abv. Really smooth and tasty. Then I'll use my basement wheat grain bill as my base. Perhaps some orange peel and coriander to help round out the style and go with a good clean yeast to let the hops and wheat shine through.

Citra is bomb! I do a SMaSH with citra and it's absolutely delish! Extremely bold citrus flavor..but not overwhelming.

Weizer said:
Citra is bomb! I do a SMaSH with citra and it's absolutely delish! Extremely bold citrus flavor..but not overwhelming.

I tried a friends citra MO smash and wow. I wish I could pick some up easily. Shipping to Hawaii sucks!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Im debating between the Citra or Pacifica to combine with the Cascade as a burst at the end.

Back