What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it was my mood.. maybe the fact I hate licorice..

Labyrinth Black Ale - Uinta Brewing Company was HORRID.. I am not sure how it got a 94 at Beer Advocate.

I Love RIS and other stouts and such.. but this was undrinkable.

Also forgot:

Samuel Adams Bonfire Rauchbier

I almost hurled when I drank it. Bonfire is the right name.. their is smoky beer and then there is this.

If you want your beer to taste like it was filtered through BURNT bacon drippings this is the beer for you. Simply undrinkable.

BTW I like bacon.. but this was something else.

I cant decide if I love it or hate it, but Marin Platypus Venom is one serious brew. Its an imperial stout with the mouthfeel and taste of anise cough syrup. It has an intriguing flavor complex, but its incredibly difficult to drink.

You guys are teasing rogue beers but i think that there are some u guys never tried... How about brutial ipa or the hazelnut 1

The fact that Rogue treats their employees like garbage makes me not go out of my way anymore to drink their stuff

Old Speckled hen...worst beer ever! I was pretty sure i was drinking regurgitated beer in a glass.

chungking said:
Old Speckled hen...worst beer ever! I was pretty sure i was drinking regurgitated beer in a glass.

What!? Old Speckled Hen is tasty.

chungking said:

Old Speckled Hen is awesome in cans. In bottles, not so much. Cans are hard to come by, but totally worth the price, if you can find it. Their bottled version is almost always skunked and/or spoiled...

Sam Adams old fezziwig is top of my list. I didn't pour any out but I definitely won't buy any more. And anything with fruit that's too sweet I just can't drink.

I'm getting down on the bad Rogue Maple Bacon reviews (and you don't want to know what I paid for it ***$17.00*** shh).
My sister lives in Portland and She took us to Voodoo Donuts, and I got the maple bacon doughnut. It was the best doughnut I've ever had! Two years later I was in my Local(read closest liquor store to my dry county line) package store in Arkansas and What did I see, A pink bottle of maple bacon beer. I didn't care how much I had to pay and I've been saving it ever since.
That was five months ago... I hope I'm not let down.
Breakfast beer huh? I wonder if my wife will be as gullible as my mom when I said Jägermeister was cough syrup when I crack it open tomorrow morning!

New Holland Dragon's Milk. $14 for 4 beers that tasted like a Jack and Coke. I don't think their original recipe was finished in whiskey barrels-- it was much better; a big, caramelly, barley wine. Great name, though!

Beergazzi said:
Though it may have been a mental thing, Flying Dog Oyster Stout ("Made with real Rapanack River Oysters") just was an unpleasent beverage...but my mental image of oysters in beer may have done it in.

Im sure I've had worse ones, but their names excape me.

FWIW I thought Goose Island Honkers Ale was great.

I think it might of been in your head man that was the first stout I ever drank and it was fantastic. They boil with the oysters for some additive to the wort the oysters do not stay in the beer or fermenter.

I was in greely, co went to a little brewery called crabtree brewing. Their stout won 2nd place a few years back it was good for a dry stout. Everything else they had was eh. They had a raspberry beer that had no hint of beer to it. It was raspberry koolaid. The sour they had was like tasting vinegar, I honesty would have made dressing with it rather then drink it. First time me or my buddy ever walked away from a flight of beer. We got ten taster glasses but about 2 1/2 were drank.

Anything with cherries (except sours/krieks) especially Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Tastes like Rx cough syrup.

I think it might of been in your head man that was the first stout I ever drank and it was fantastic. They boil with the oysters for some additive to the wort the oysters do not stay in the beer or fermenter.

An episode of Drinking Made Easy in either Tennessee or Asheville NC, went to a small brew pub that did an oyster stout also. They said the same thing, they're only in for a short time and then discarded. The shells are used for mineralizing the water. The calcium or whatever, changes the water profile to make it suitable for the beer.

+1 to this. Their oyster stout is really good, and their regular pale ale is amazing and im not a hop head at all. Would love to find a clone recipe for both beers.

I'll try everything and usually more than once.... but I had "hell hath no fury" from bells and it was absolutely terrible. It's a belgian stout. blech

mpride1911 said:
An episode of Drinking Made Easy in either Tennessee or Asheville NC, went to a small brew pub that did an oyster stout also. They said the same thing, they're only in for a short time and then discarded. The shells are used for mineralizing the water. The calcium or whatever, changes the water profile to make it suitable for the beer.

Lol that's exactly where I heard it from too

I bought some Wingwalker beer once that was almost bad enough to dump, but I powered through and managed to drink it all. One of our local breweries also makes nothing but crap (Southern Oregon Brewery), which is disappointing to me as I like to support the local business'.

Sam Adams old fezziwig is top of my list. I didn't pour any out but I definitely won't buy any more. And anything with fruit that's too sweet I just can't drink.

I actually thought Old Fezziwig was one of the better from the Winter Sampler. I wasn't a big fan of the White Christmas one though. I guess that is why there is so many kinds of beer.

Devils Backbone Gold leaf Lager. Went to a local watering hole that I frequent where the bartenders know what I generally like. The bartender gave me a sample and wouldn't tell me what it was until I tried it and guessed at what it was. My first thought was PBR.

Pretty much everything I've had from magic hat.
It's the only sampler pack Ive regretted buying to this day... and it was on sale

I'm sure it's been said a few times already, but this guy right here:
16th_title.png

Huge disappointment from Stone, especially since their 10th anniversary Ruination was out at the same time and was awesome! I tipped off some friends to the Ruination and they got the 16th anniversary IPA by mistake. And that's a big mistake. The stuff was completely undrinkable. "Lemon" sounds like a great idea in an IPA, but "Lemon verbena and lemon oil" turns out to be an awful idea. Sorry, Stone. Love your other stuff.

I found it while passing through England several years back and thought to myself "hey, maybe I'll give it a second try, a little closer to the source... THAT will change my mind, right?"

Still skunk drippings. Ditch the clear glass, folks. Same experience every time I've tried Innis and Gunn, too.

I'm sure it's been said a few times already, but this guy right here:
16th_title.png

Huge disappointment from Stone, especially since their 10th anniversary Ruination was out at the same time and was awesome! I tipped off some friends to the Ruination and they got the 16th anniversary IPA by mistake. And that's a big mistake. The stuff was completely undrinkable. "Lemon" sounds like a great idea in an IPA, but "Lemon verbena and lemon oil" turns out to be an awful idea. Sorry, Stone. Love your other stuff.

Blech, I may have already posted that in this thread, but it bears repeating. I still have another bottle of it and I'm pretty sure I'll never drink it.

Breckenridge Breweries Vanilla Porter.... came in a mixer, didn't see "vanilla" on the label before I started drinking it. Ew ew ew. Literally tastes like they added vanilla extract to a crappy porter.

Sam adams. I think every one of their beers I've had just sucks and I hate it because I want to like them. Their Irish red was so bad I didn't finish a 22 of it while at the airport, that's bad.

I will say if I have to drink a light beer they do a goo job with that.

Swarley88 said:
Whoa whoa whoa, that beer is tasty.

I hear both of you-- I like whiskey, but I just want my beer to taste like... Beer. To me, beers like this are in a new category. New Holland makes excellent beers, this one just ain't for me!

Sam adams. I think every one of their beers I've had just sucks and I hate it because I want to like them. Their Irish red was so bad I didn't finish a 22 of it while at the airport, that's bad.

I will say if I have to drink a light beer they do a goo job with that.

Agreed. I can't stand Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co.). It's like the "craft" brewery of the mainstream.

Sam adams. I think every one of their beers I've had just sucks and I hate it because I want to like them...

Agreed. I can't stand Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co.). It's like the "craft" brewery of the mainstream.

I totally agree with that. When I see their hyped prime-time TV commercials I can almost taste their beer. And it makes me cringe.

They make good glasses, though!

I think that failed expectations are judged more harshly than just plain bad beers. The stone voodoo is a lark, they knew people would buy it to see how bad it really is, the pizza beer, etc.

I think DFH is run by a cool guy, I like his passion, philosophy and am happy he is making money. I just don't care for his beers, in general. I tolerate the 60 min, but as they progress, I can't put my finger on it, but they all kind of strike me as the flavors are too strong, and not married together. Maybe he uses a house yeast for all of them or something. Or the wrong hops. At the price point, I can't justify trying any more of their beers until I really hear and get the sense that they have done something different.

I agree. DFH is pushing the boundries, i respect that its not easy taking those kinds of risks, but lord have mercy some of his beers are a challenge.

jerryteague said:
Old Speckled Hen is awesome in cans. In bottles, not so much. Cans are hard to come by, but totally worth the price, if you can find it. Their bottled version is almost always skunked and/or spoiled...

It actually was a draft. But it tasted exactly like you said: skunked/spoiled. Never again!

dawgmatic said:
Pretty much everything I've had from magic hat.
It's the only sampler pack Ive regretted buying to this day... and it was on sale

I still have a couple bottles floating around from a Magic Hat sampler I bought, I think, 7 years ago. Didn't like any if them.

That said, 3 Floyd's Ham on Rye is by far the worst craft beer I've ever had.

Old Monk 10000 Super Beer. Not sure if it counts as craft as its imported and not sure what size brewery they are. But dear god it was horrible. I've never had like a steel reserve or similar but figured this is what they taste like. Read the reviews after a few sips and realized that was the style. Bleh.

Definitely the Sam Adams Cranberry "Lambic" for me.
Horrifically disgusting!

The fact that they dared to put LAMBIC on the label (not even Lambic-style mind you)
is a huge insult to all the Lambic Artisan Brewers...

Back