Cheap Kegs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello, anyone have a line on cheapest 5 gal kegs, pin or ball lock, right after purchasing a Monster Mill 2-2.0 , I just found and picked up a kegerator for $100 and need to get some kegs and a conversion kit (dreaming of a 3 tap tower) too.
Being that money is very tight now after buying the mill and some supplies to use it, Im looking for really inexpensive stuff.

Help? :confused:

Also any advice pin or ball? pros and cons? or is that really a preference/availability thing?

Thanks and Cheers:mug:

Check out this guy on eBay. link

That's where I got mine. I'd also try to get one or two more than what you need that way you can have some kegs on deck whenever any on tap kick out. Hope this helps.

From what I've seen most people go with ball lock. Try searching Craigslist for kegs. The absolute cheapest I've seen is $35/ea.

That's where I got mine. I'd also try to get one or two more than what you need that way you can have some kegs on deck whenever any on tap kick out. Hope this helps.

Thanks Yesfan, The shipping kills this deal, they are in Florida and Im in Arizona.

Cheers :mug:

From what I've seen most people go with ball lock. Try searching Craigslist for kegs. The absolute cheapest I've seen is $35/ea.

Thanks WhiteEagle, Been looking on Craigslist for ever here, I have wanter to go with kegs from day 1, once in a great while I see a 15 gal keg for sale, but haven't seen any 5 gal ones yet.

Cheers:mug:

For what it's worth, I find you really get what you pay for with kegs. By the time I factor in shipping I can usually get kegs from my local shop for 10 bucks more but I can look at them, inspect them, and get troubleshooting and return them should I need to.

For what it's worth, I find you really get what you pay for with kegs. By the time I factor in shipping I can usually get kegs from my local shop for 10 bucks more but I can look at them, inspect them, and get troubleshooting and return them should I need to.

Thanks rifraf, the closest brew shop to me is 2 hrs away, with gas what it is shipping is much cheaper lol

Cheers:mug:

Any salvage yards in your area? They may have some sitting around you could buy. They may need a good scrub but it's an option. Similarly, you might be able to find some 7.5 gallon sanke kegs. It would require a different connector but it's also an option.

http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon-Cornelius-Keg-Ball-Lock_p_70.html

I just bought two from here, and found them (other than eBay) to be the cheapest online. I bought soaked the kegs in pbw and changed out the o rings with new ones from my local.

The kegs came with new lids and new lid o rings. One had a plastic gas tube, which really isn't an issue. I'll probably change it out as I have a spare, but it's worked just fine carbing up Denny's Rye IPA.

Thanks Yesfan, The shipping kills this deal, they are in Florida and Im in Arizona.

If you're planning on buying a small lot, maybe you could get the seller to lower the shipping price. I'm pretty sure I paid about $200 for my 6 kegs.

On another note, if you buy used kegs, check out McMaster for your seal kit. Here's a link to a thread telling which O-rings to get for your kegs. (link)

Good luck! :mug:

check yard sales garage sales craigslist etc.. We found ( my son and I ) 6 or 7 at a yard sale for a buck each.

Post a wanted add on Craigslist!

I posted one, got no responses for about 2 weeks, then boom! A local brewer contacted me with 2 ball-lock's, a 15.5 gal. Sanke, and a 20# CO2 tank for $100.

Not bad :D

I get so frustrated looking for kegs for sale on CL and having to weed through dozens of D-bags with their kegs wanted ads willing to pay $20 for a half-barrel.

Every day...same D-bags...same worthless ads.

They should have a separate Want to Buy section.

Ritebrew.com has pin-locks for $31, ball-locks for $46. not sure about shipping costs though cause they're right down the road from me.

I get so frustrated looking for kegs for sale on CL and having to weed through dozens of D-bags with their kegs wanted ads willing to pay $20 for a half-barrel.

I look at CL almost every day, where I live we hardly even have D-bags posting lol I type in keg and nothing.

They do... It's called the "wanted" section

Thats a great deal !, how would you like to double your money ?:eek: lol

What a score you guys found!

I tend to be a hoarder with stuff like that.. I also seem to have great luck.. found a BUNCH of 6.5 gallon carboys a while back for 3 bucks each..... a friend called me a while back...bought a storage room in one of those auctions.. had 96 ( I think) carboys in it!!!

Did those kegs come in good condition?
From the guy on ebay I mean.

Did those kegs come in good condition?
From the guy on ebay I mean.

For used, I'm not going to complain. At the time, he had the "bad ones" for $28/ea (what I got) and the better shaped ones for about $10 more. I found that link from someone on the NB boards, so I went in and bought six off the bat, thinking I'd get ahead of the curve if the used market starts drying up.

He ships them with a bit of pressure in them as I guess he's double checking that they hold pressure. Three of the six I had still had pressure, and the other three didn't. I posted about that over at NB, and a couple of members there think all I should have to do is just change the seals and I'll be good. I don't have the funds to get a kegging setup going yet, but figured I would take advantage of some used kegs while they were available. I also want to add a few more of those stackable 2.5 kegs while they're still under $80 at AiHB.

Ok people, We need to start over again with where to get cheap keg deals, in the last few weeks several of these places have run out of stock or have jacked there prices way up, so where is the current cheapest place to get kegs at now?

Cheers :)

I just scored a brand new keg (NIB) off of Craigslist as part of a package deal. Keep an eye on CL and you'll see good deals come up now and then.

+1 for Craigslist here. You have to search daily, but they show up. In my area they are 50 bucks each. You might have better luck talking folks down, I don't try. If I can pay what they're asking, I pay it. 50 each is a LOT cheaper than 40+40 shipping off of eBay. :(

Now I just need to find a mini-fridge to convert to a kegerator. Sanyo 4910-12's are not as easy to find anymore :)

Aboo,

I don't know which eBay seller you're referring to, but I got mine from this guy.

(link)

It was a few months ago, but I bought 6 for about $200 shipped. At that time, he had two prices, $28 and $38. Of course the $38 were better looking. I just went with the cheapest. I don't care if there are a couple of dents here and there as I'm more worried about them holding pressure than how they look.

That is the eBay seller I was talking about. I'm in Missouri, and only wanted two kegs. Shipping was 40 dollars, for one. So I passed. I did not however call him or anything so it's highly possible that he'd be able to do something for you cheaper than that.

Latest posts

Back