uncalibrated hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPFITNESS

Reaction score
I think my hydrometer is way off to put it mildly. its reading my tap water at 1.08 at 77* which when corrected would actually mean 1.10. Should I not sweat it because it's going to also be off by a similar amount when I check my final gravity? I'm new to this and I'm also trying to get a feel for my efficiency and I keep getting low numbers like 66% efficiency but if I add back that difference it brings my efficiency up to almost 80%.

Do you mean 1.008 and 1.010?

You're right, you can factor in the correction (just know to subtract .010 from every reading) and continue to use it but if the paper slipped in the hydrometer, it might be prone to slip again...

Do you mean 1.008 and 1.010?

You're right, you can factor in the correction (just know to subtract .010 from every reading) and continue to use it but if the paper slipped in the hydrometer, it might be prone to slip again...

no. it is reading 1.080 so that is pretty darn far off. What are my options for hydrometers that are more precise or other options of measuring gravity?

also, now i'm really concerned. I was thinking that this meant that my efficiency would be better but now i realize it actually means my efficiency is WORSE. WTF, now i'm annoyed

Wow. Refractometers work well for SG checks before fermentation starts. After that I use a hydrometer, any cheapie hydrometer works. I've never had a scale slide, surprised yours moved that much thats crazy.

Back