Secondary fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I bought a secondary fermenter because i read it is beneficial to pull the beer off the trub after primary fermentation is complete. Supposively trub can cause unwanted flavors to infiltrate the beer. Many responses in forums here tend to not like using secondary fermenters unless dry hopping or adding other flavoring agents. The potential for the trub to foul the beer is very low?

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

You'll find that what you read is based on 30 year old outdated information, and the author you read, which I bet was John Palmer, has actually changed his mind on that. If it wasn't by him, it was by someone who read him, and was repeating what he wrote. But like I said, the idea that yeast contact leads to off flavors has actually changed. Healthy yeast will not lead to off flavors, in fact healthy yeast, if left in contact with the beer for a prolonged period of time, will actually get rid of many off flavors, that were the byproducts of fermentation.

Yes this question is like beating a dead horse. Its 50/50 on the forums. Some like it, some don't. Either way it all makes beer. I use secondary because its the way I learned. So I pull the brew off the trub. I have also done straight primary. All I notice with when you rack from primary in your bucket or keg for carbing. You just have to pay attention not to suck up the trub. As in secondary trub is very minimal. Just do what you feel like doing.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I got the info from John Palmer and it was a recent edition. He seems to go back and forth on the subject.

One thing regarding the healthy yeast comment. I thought the trub was composed of fats, proteins, and dead or hibernating yeast.

Back