Tiger Bait Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1272 American Ale II
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.7L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Clean citrus aroma, lots of hop flavor with low bitterness. Delicious Pale!!!
Grain
10 lbs two row 1.5L
.5 lb Crystal 10L
.25 lb Special B

Whirlfloc @ 15

Hops
.5 oz cascade @ 60 (6%AA)
.5 oz cascade @ 45 (6% AA)
.5 oz falconers flight @ 15 (10% AA)
.5 oz falconers flight @ 10 (10% AA)
.5 oz falconers flight @ 5 (10% AA)
.5 oz falconers flight @0 (10% AA)

Dry hop 1 oz falconers flight for 7 days before kegging.

15 minute whirlpool

Mash Schedule
Single Infusion @ 154 for 60 mins
1.25 qt/lb
Batch Sparge w/ 170* water 15 minute rest
~70% efficiency

Water
I have Houston water so I had to dilute with RO due to lots of iron in my city water. I ended up using 75% RO 25% filtered city water (filtered through fridge). Whatever your normal pale water is should be fine, I just adjusted with some gypsum in my water to bring out my hop flavor and bitterness.

Other notes
I ended up with ~6-6.5 gallons pre boil and had 5 gallons in the fermenter after cooling. Adjust for your system and boil off rate. Also I just pitched the wyeast packet. Fermented at 70 in a swamp cooler...hey it's Houston summers...all in all fermented out clean in 4-5 days

Second round in the Dixie cup in Houston and scored a 32. I missed my mash temp while brewing, 151 instead of 154. Enjoy.

looks tasty. i designed a similar recipe using only cascade and falconers flight to brew this weekend. my recipe is:

9# 2 row
8oz carapils
8oz crystal 15
4oz crystal 120

1oz cascade 60 min
1oz cascade 30 min
2oz falconers flight flame out

mash 154
1 pack safeale 05 dry yeast

how strong was the citrus flavor in the falconers flight? this is my first time using it.
im aming for a sierra nevada bitter bite but with lots of hop flavor.

It was noticeably citrusy, however the simcoe in the blend tones it down a bit I think. The aroma comes through really strong. I dry hopped with an ounce of falconers for a week before kegging to further enhance the aroma.

In your recipe you may only get hop flavor from your 30 minute cascade addition. I'm a big fan of layering and hop bursting at the end of boil with small additions more frequently. To each his own though.

I'd like to give it a try. Can anyone tell me an online place where they are getting the Falconer's Flight hop blend. Everywhere I check seems to be out

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

I'm not sure I got mine from my LHBS. You can mix simcoe, sorachi and citra to achieve the blend. My blend was 10%AA.

allright just brewed this with my grain bill and your hop schedule. i also added 1 oz cascade mash hop. ill post how it turns out. it should be a bit hoppier. my cascades are 6.4 AA and my falcons flight is 10.5 AA

I was thinking of fwh next time I brew, let me know how yours ends up. Also, I forgot it when I posted the recipe but I dry hopped wit 1 oz of falconers 7 days before kegging. Not sure if you were planning on doing that?

I have everything coming tomorrow for a go at Tiger Bait this weekend. Found the Falconer's Flight at Austin Homebrew for anyone interested. Anyway, I have a half pound of flaked wheat laying around. I was thinking of adding 4 oz for head retention. Thoughts?

Cheers

I didn't have problems with head retention. The beer actually came out a bit creamy. Couldn't hurt though!

Let us know how you like it.

Any updates?

:mug:

Absolutely super. I'll see if I can get a pic or two, but I only crack brews at night and the lighting may not do it any justice. I did the recipe straight up and hit all the numbers almost deadon. I ended up using WLP051 which worked really well, although it is slow. I got kegging system parts for Christmas and double bought on the Falconer's Flight hops. Once I get my kegerator together I will probably brew this up again as I think it would be a fantastic brew to hit off a tap.

Cheers

Awesome, glad to hear you like it, I can't wait to brew this one again as well! Please post pics if you can for the thread, I was never able to get pics since my keg ran out almost instantaneously.

Back