Spiced stout: need hop recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatReek

Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to make a spiced stout, kind of along the lines of the various spiced ales, but, you know... a stout. I have a pretty decent idea of the spices I'll use, but what kinds (and amounts) of hops should I use to keep it nice and malty? Looking to make a 5-gal batch here if that plays a role in your recommendation.

Thanks!

well, what are *u* looking to add? nutmeg? cinnamon?

i dunno, just my opinion but i've yet to find a spiced beer i agree with, but then again, i gave up on em a long time ago *because* i couldnt seem to find one i ever liked.

PeatReek said:
Hey, I'm trying to make a spiced stout, kind of along the lines of the various spiced ales, but, you know... a stout. I have a pretty decent idea of the spices I'll use, but what kinds (and amounts) of hops should I use to keep it nice and malty? Looking to make a 5-gal batch here if that plays a role in your recommendation.

Thanks!

I'd use Fuggles or E.K. Goldings in a stout. Say an ounce for 60 mins to bitter and another .5-1 oz. for aroma at the end.

nugget and willamette

But what spices are you using exactly? Spices as in nutmeg, ginger, etc? Somehow I think these are out of place in a stout but that's just me. I do think spices can go great in the right beer (shipyard's pumpkinhead for example). Frankly, if I were using spices I'd keep the bittering and aroma to a minimum to let the spices shine through. These approach seems to work well.

Now if you're talking about rye or chili peppers then that may be different...

Back