earthenware fermentation vessels...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used my dad's old ceramic crock for open fermentation. Just pitch the yeast and cover with a towel. It is actually a really fun method!

That was the ways it was done, from ancient Bavaria, even into the 1970's.

hallstatt-burial-at-kasendorf-germany-beer-jar-ca-800-bce-jpg1.png

The oldest evidence of wheat beer-making in Europe is the so-called “Kasendorf Amphora.” This is an earthenware fermentation vessel found in a Celtic grave near the northern Bavarian village of Kasendorf, nearn Kulmbach, in 1934. That crock dates from at least 800 B.C., and it contains residues of black wheat ale flavored with oak leaves.

And all the way into the 70's when homebrewing was still illegal, beer was made in crocks like you posted, usually with pie tin lids. This was the typical fermeter back then.

!BhHjqZw!2k~$(KGrHqIH-CgEsKv4I3lpBLHvI7gOHg~~_1_945_1.JPG

I am using one of these clay "moonshine" jugs. Popular auction item. This one was $20. I sure had to clean it out well though!

image-2486065544.jpg

Some of the really old earthenware jugs have lead glazes and are not suitable for alcohol. I am told that anything post 1960 should be lead free.

bierhaus15 said:
Some of the really old earthenware jugs have lead glazes and are not suitable for alcohol. I am told that anything post 1960 should be lead free.

I heard this too but I dont know how much stock to put in it. These jugs don't have dates, and I figure everything in moderation. Lead is mostly a developmental toxin so I just won't let the kids sample any ;)

Most are glazed inside. I'd imagine it wouldn't be a big problem if someone was using a lead glazed jug/crock, unless it was really old and the glaze was starting to chip. I know they specifically state to use a lead free crock when making pickles and sauerkraut.

alright, i couldn't resist! i made a mini 1 gal batch last night and separated into 2 jugs to do a little yeast experiment (dry vs liquid)... and i decided to go condom on one of them.
the first pic is just after pitching... the second one is 6 hrs later. look at that thing go!

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Hilarious! Fill me up on the jar even.....

On lead- it is supposed to be more acid extractable but fermenting wort wouldn't be as acidic, or even acidic at all(?), as kraut and pickles? The mash is 5.2 but what is the finished product pH?

My crock is definitely glazed on the inside but I bought it specifically because the glaze seems in excellent condition. I think this also means it's likely post-1960.

Back