New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Well, as of last night, I went to bed thinking I had my spare fridge in the garage up and running, ready to be loaded with my first kegging attempt. Freezer section was freezing water and the fridge part had dropped down to about 45degs. Woke this morning and the unit wasn't running at all and had tripped the breaker. Reset the breaker and the fridge buzzed for about 3 seconds then tripped it again. Once reset the fridge did nothing except the light inside works. I'm thinking it's bad news and CL has nothing for sale in this area for under $200.

So, now, if I fill a keg, what kind of procedure and time frame am I looking at to get from out of the fermenter to drinking? Since carbing time is shortened with low temps, could I simply stand the filled keg in a tall bucket of ice? Seems like I could keep the water in the 40's with a bag or 2 of ice per day, right? Is that cold enough?

Well, as of last night, I went to bed thinking I had my spare fridge in the garage up and running, ready to be loaded with my first kegging attempt. Freezer section was freezing water and the fridge part had dropped down to about 45degs. Woke this morning and the unit wasn't running at all and had tripped the breaker. Reset the breaker and the fridge buzzed for about 3 seconds then tripped it again. Once reset the fridge did nothing except the light inside works. I'm thinking it's bad news and CL has nothing for sale in this area for under $200.

So, now, if I fill a keg, what kind of procedure and time frame am I looking at to get from out of the fermenter to drinking? Since carbing time is shortened with low temps, could I simply stand the filled keg in a tall bucket of ice? Seems like I could keep the water in the 40's with a bag or 2 of ice per day, right? Is that cold enough?

In regards to your fridge, here is a troubleshooting page that might help:
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appliance/refrigerator/diagrefrigerator.php

As for carbonating your beer in a keg....if you can keep your beer at 65 degrees, with your co2 set to 23-30 psi, you can carb it in a week.

Sometimes cycling the compressor off/on rapidly will make it shut down for several hours, since cycling rapidly isn't good for it.

Got home and plugged it in and again the light inside comes on but nothing else. Tried the link above but aside from the fan nothing really looks like what is shown in the pics.

Discouraged....

Guidry said:
Got home and plugged it in and again the light inside comes on but nothing else. Tried the link above but aside from the fan nothing really looks like what is shown in the pics.

Discouraged....

I do hvac work and it sounds like to me you have a shorted compressor which basically means the compressor is shot. Obviously this is just my opinion from the scenario you described so don't take my word a 100%. How old is the fridge?

Removed the inside cover to reveal the defrost timer and turned it little, it clicked. Plugged it in and it started up again. Trying to verify if a bad timer could be the culprit.

Back