big beer blow up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben24

Reaction score
so. first fermentation explosion. high gravity honey wheat wort. fermenting for 24 hours, buddies wife reported hissing while we were at work, he returned home to a full explosion. the top was literally 10 feet away from the bucket.

seems like we have only lost a top layer of foam to the walls and ceiling. im sure there has to be some hop oil and residue in there though.

so we recapped it, and its back to normal fermentation.

the question is: How much if any flavor or activity have I lost here? will my final product be at all comprimised?

thanks.

:confused:

Should be fine. If you had that much activity you should have had plenty of krausen to protect the beer from any nasties. Close it off; rdwhahb

how much headroom did you have? I have a 3gal batch brewing in a 6.5gal fermenter, and now you all have me worried (wheat + honey + wheat yeast)

booherbg said:
how much headroom did you have? I have a 3gal batch brewing in a 6.5gal fermenter, and now you all have me worried (wheat + honey + wheat yeast)

No need to worry. You have more than enough headspace. I brew 5.5 gal batches in a 6.5 gal bucket and the closest i've come to blowoff is a clogged up airlock. If you are still paranoid, take off airlock, shove tubing into grommet, place other end in a container with some starsan. RDWHAHB!

No need to worry. You have more than enough headspace. I brew 5.5 gal batches in a 6.5 gal bucket and the closest i've come to blowoff is a clogged up airlock. If you are still paranoid, take off airlock, shove tubing into grommet, place other end in a container with some starsan. RDWHAHB!

With very active yeast, I have to use a blowoff tube every time. The airlock diffuser is trash now for me.

But seriously, TS, where are the pics???

Back