Is the wort/beer salvageable after a blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opus_X

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch yesterday. Everything with the brew went as planned and I pitched the yeast yesterday about 3:30. When I woke up this morning fermentation was rocking along. I then left to go to work.

The wort is fermenting in a better bottle with a #10 stopper and 3 piece airlock. My wife called me at work around 2:00 to tell me the stopper blew off the bottle. The mess is minimal and seems to have just overflowed a little, kind of like lava flowing down a volcano. I don't think I lost very much.

Anyway, I left work and stopped by my LHBS. They did not have better bottle blow off stuff in stock. So, I bought 3 feet of 1/2" tubing.

I cleaned and sanitized the stopper, tubing and airlock. I attached the tubing directly to the airlock and ran it to a jar 3/4 full with sanitized water. It starting bubling immediately and looks to be bubbling vigorously.

So, will my beer be OK?

Thank you. I thought it would be even though it was exposed for 2 - 3 hours. I just needed some reassurance.

You are good. The CO2 flow heading upward and outward will be enough to prohibit any contaminents. Although, you are welcome to send me a six pack of it...for er,um....me to run through my QC lab.

Back