Dry APA - Denny's 1450 or S-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an APA this weekend that I'd like to be somewhat dry w/ a little malt flavor poking through the amarillo/cascade mix. It'll be about 1.050 & 34IBUs. I can reuse some of the Denny's 1450 Wyest I've got, or I can get a pack of S-04 when I head out to the brew store. I'll be mashing at 150.

I'm worried about the mouthfeel of the 1450 getting in the way, but don't ahve time to do a 1056 starter. Thoughts?

I'm assuming you mean S-05... I would go with the S-05 since its a good performer in attenuating down to desired levels... I would even mash a bit lower say 148*F to get that dryer finish.

Oops, yes, I meant S-05. I'm not so worried about the attenuation, more about the silky mouthfeel it seems to give the beer. I'm not sure if a dry tasting beer is possible with 1450.

It does accentuate the caramel flavors but that doesnt mean that it won't attenuate to a dry finish with it... I think for arguments sake, I would just use the US-05 and leave the 1050 for a nice Porter

I can't tell the difference from one to the other unless I've got a side by side comparison to sample. I am either lucky or cursed with that defect in my taste buds.

I'd just go with 1450 cause I don't know better and it works well in APA, IPA, etc. and you already have it.

I just did a porter with the 1450 and it turned out excellent yeast wise. A little heavy on the bittering, though....

I think I'll try mashing at 149 and go with the 1450. I've already got it and we'll see what it can do. It might end up being my standard house ale yeast if it works out well with this APA.

I LOVE Denny's favorite in IPAs/APAs/ambers/etc. I'd use that. It's just about my favorite strain for APAs. It makes the hops "pop" while leaving great malt flavor. I think it would be a wonderful yeast for your purposes.

Back