Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

I made an Extract with Grain batch of Stout Saturday and I want to make it a Vanilla Stout. I was going to add either Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean to the Secondary.
Any thoughts, advice, opinions? I don't want an overbearing Vanilla flavour, just a nice aromatic touch with a hint in the aftertaste.

Thanks,
J

Adding the vanilla beans to the secondary won't really help, AFAIK vanilla isn't soluble in water (beer) so you need to extract the vanilla with some sort of alcohol, a lot of people use bourbon, or you could just add vanilla extract (but make sure it is the good stuff, not the synthesized crap. Just add a little when you rack to the secondary, try it, if you want more, add more.

edit: I have been drinking a ton of Breckenridge Brewery's Vanilla Porter this winter, and I freaking love the stuff!

I used 3 mexican vanilla beans in a 750 of Vodka. Kept it in my desk drawer for 5 weeks and shook it every day. It's an awesome extract now.

Intersting. Maybe something i try down the road. Im drinking a Vanilla Porter from a local brewery right now. MMMMM....

Very tasty but its kind of wierd with dinner. Lol!

Back