Janet's Brown dry hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbergmania

Reaction score
I picked up a Janet's Brown all grain clone from AHS and brewed it on sunday, question is, when to dry hop it. Should I just wait till the airlock action slows or wait a couple weeks then rack to secondary and dry hop?

It's up to you. I like my beer to be pretty "clean" before the hops go in (yeast cells get in the way of getting the aromatics to dissolve into the beer). That said, some breweries (like Firestone Walker) dry hop when there is still a small amount of activity going on so the hops circulate a bit and there is still yeast to scavenge any oxygen you introduce.

I don't like to dry-hop before the ferment is pretty much done. Vigorous fermentation devolves a significant amount of carbon dioxide gas, which has an unfortunate tendency to scrub out such volatile stuff as hops oils/resins.

My procedure is to rack to a secondary, add dry hops and fine the beer. Rack to package after 7-14 days.

Cheers,

Bob

Latest posts

Back