Glass top Stove and Non Flat Pot bottom- help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCrane

Reaction score
I have an el cheapo SS 5g pot (for 2.5g batches). I'm in the midst of testing my equipment and noticed that I couldn't get 3.5-4 gallons over 205 F unless to lid was on. So I did what other have done before me and built a jacket for the pot. It helped speed up the time.

Then I notice the bottom of the pot is not perfectly flat. From the edge of the pot to the center (6") there is about a 1/8-1/4" difference. I can push and flex it flat. Even with 4 g's of water it still doesn't sit perfectly flat.

Any recommendation of how to flatten it out. I'm going to try placing weight in the bottom and hitting it with a sledge (with the help of a 2x4). Any other thoughts?

unfortunately with the stove i have and where I live I can't go bigger or go outside.

I don't think I'd try to flatten the kettle, you'll probably just make it even more uneven on the bottom. Unfortunately your only option is to get a flat bottom kettle if you can't go outside. Or make a heatstick.

Yeah I was thinking about a heatstick, but figured I would at least attempt to adjust the pot first.

I think the whole electricity and water thing is going to cause my SWMBO to got nuts as she is a nurse and already gives a bit a gruff about my new hobby.

I also have to check my reciptiacle in the kitchen I think they are only 15A but non are GFCI, leaving me to replace the outlet or build a remote one.

If I did go with a heatstick I'm limited to 120v with no access to a 240v. Would a 1500w or 2000w be enough to boil 4ish gallons? If so I could brew in the basement soley with a heatstick and eventually make a small electric system.

I have pounded out rounded bottoms in pots. They are usually caused by over heating the pot. Like when Wifey leaves it on the stove and boils it dry!

Anyway, if you need to replace the pot anyway, you can always try pounding it first, if you ruin, so what?

A heatstick AND the stove would probably be fine. I doubt a single 120V element would heat a full boil.

Do you have the luxury of being able to brew outside?

Do you have the luxury of being able to brew outside?

No not yet, while I live in a townhouse w/ a walkout basement which would be a great spot. I had to make a few concession with SWMBO. Once i win her over and prove it ain't all that bad then possibly in the future I will will get into a bit bigger and more powerful set-up, but for now i'm limited.

I guess a 1500W element would be a nice booster. I still have to cehck the outlets in the kitchen. But if a 2000W would be able to boil 3-4 gals (for a 2.5 gal batch) I could avoid the kitchen and the SWMBO altogether and stay in the basement. I do have a 20A GFCI outlet next to my breaker box in the basement So I could run atleast 1 2000W, Or get an electrician in to hook up a 240v down there, but that's xtra $$ that i feel is unnessecary at the moment.

I'm still searching and searching all the possible threads. I want to get all my eggs in a basket and test run everythinig but getting into a brew and having that oh sh** moment.

thanks for the input so far fellas

I won't even attempt to pretend I know anything about electricity, so I'll defer to someone else. Though I feel your pain with glass stovetops.

I won't even attempt to pretend I know anything about electricity, so I'll defer to someone else. Though I feel your pain with glass stovetops.

Thanks, If it wasn't for the slight curve on the bottom I think I could get 4 gals to boil.

if your breaker box is in the basement you could do 2 separate 120v lines with 2 heat sticks instead of 1 240v. as long as the 2 x 120v heatsticks are on separate lines with sufficient wiring you should be fine.

After the idea posts and searching the forum all day (w/o getting busted by the boss:rockin:)

I think my game plan (after seeing if i can flatten my cheap-ass pot) will be a single 2000W heat stick that will plug into the GFCI outlet next to my break box (which I beleive is 20A-will check tonight). My breaker box is in my work room (small unfinished area of the basement). This way i'm out of the kitchen and in the basement, where i'll be fermenting and storing the equipment anyways. Since i'll be shooting for 2.5 g-ish batches this space and set-up should suit my needs until the need to upgrade

Once I get this project moving I'll post my progress.
Thanks for the help fellas

Your plan should work. I had this same problem when I started. A heatstick can pretty much keep 3-4 gallons boiling. Regarding the power, if you have a built in microwave, those are almost always dedicated 20 amp circuits. Its code now, but not sure how long its been code. I used to just open the cabinet door above the microwave and use that plug. A nice side benefit is it doesn't tie up the rest of the outlets in your kitchen (so you can still run the coffee maker while boiling).

I do believe that the microwave outlet is not GFCI so it probably wouldn't hurt to buy a GFCI pigtail at Home Depot.

Well check the basement outlet, 15amp GFCI. and to boot I couldn't get my cheap pot to flatten out. So since I already have a insulated wrap for it I'm going to convert it into a mash tun At least I know It'll still work at about 85% on the stove. So it should keep the temp with very little help from the range (if needed).

I like the idea of the microwave outlet, it's hidden in a small cabinet where the microwave is mounted. Would need to make a remote gfci with a switch if and when I go this route.

Did notice something i have to fix in the house. There is a 20 amp running to the kitchen that is label GFCI in the break box, but the previous owner replaced/updated all the outlet and didn't put in a GFCI, So that's now on the honey-do list. Think is I don't know which one to replace.

I'm looking at another inexpensive pot with a nice flat bottom. I think me making a heat stick would freak out my better half.

most flat top stoves won't run the burner right if your pot is more than 1.5" wider in diameter than the burner...to prevent damage to the cooktop.

I couldn't even bring 4 gallons above 180F because of that.

Back