Stout Kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegreatgumbino

Reaction score
Haven't found a lot of info regarding these kettles on the board (or elsewhere). I submitted the following questions to the to their website.

I really like the look of them and the tri-clamp setup. Any users on HBT that can provide feedback on their products?

http://conical-fermenter.com

FWIW, here are the other threads on HBT that have some info on the kettles.
thread #1 & thread #2

1) How much wort loss do you experience in your 9.2 gallon & 19.8 gallon kettles since there is no diptube?
2) What size diameter are the tri-clamp ferrules?
3) What size are the tri-clamps? I assume all the fittings use the same size clamp.
4) What the ID of the tangential inlet?
5) What is length of thermowell? Size of threaded coupler?
6) How much to add a thermowell to kettle?
7) What is the ID of the outlet?
8) What is the dimension of the outlet from the face of the kettle to the ferrule?
9) What do the 9.2 gallon & 19.8 gallon kettles weigh?
10) What type of stainless material is used?
11) What are the dimensions of the 9.2 gallon kettle?
12) Do you sell spare lids?
13) What type of material are the tri-clamp gaskets?

Checked out the threads...now I'm interested, hope someone has some info/experience with this brand.

Here are the answers from John.

1) How much wort loss do you experience in your 9.2 gallon & 19.8 gallon kettles since there is no diptube?

It will vary. You can tip the kettle to get out trub that is below the level of the outlet. The more thorough the whirlpool and the longer you let it settle, the less you will lose. Also, the more trub/hops you have, the more wort you'll have intermixed. I would estimate that I lose 2 to 4 cups of trub and wort in my typical 6 gallon brew.

2) What size diameter are the tri-clamp ferrules/tri-clamps?

Standard 1.5" fittings.

3) What size ID is the outlet?

The ID is about 5/8".

4) What size ID is inlet on your tangential inlet?

5/8". Since this is a special order item, we could put whatever you want on it.

5) Can you weld in 2 ea. 1" couplers in the bottom for electric heating elements?

Wouldn't these heating elements with threaded fittings undo the sanitary design of the kettle? To make sure it worked out just right, I would want to send your couplers (and/or the heating elements) to my factory which would add perhaps $100 to the cost (Fed Ex to Asia isn't cheap). Do you know anyone who has done this and been happy with the results? What about scorching of the wort and buildup of malt on the elements? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

6) How much to add a thermowell to kettle?

$35 (includes thermometer, too).

7) What is length of thermowell? Size of threaded coupler?

It is a little over 2.5", long enough for most dial thermometers. The threaded part outside of the kettle is 1/2" NPT.

8) What is the dimension of the outlet from the face of the kettle to the ferrule?

3" - to keep the seal away from the heat.

9) What do the 9.2 gallon & 19.8 gallon kettles weigh?

I haven't received the first 19.8 gallon kettle yet, so I don't know on that. I would guess 15 to 20# for the 9.3 gallon (I don't have a good scale with that capacity).

10) What type of stainless material is used?

11) What are the dimensions of your 9.2 gallon kettle?

About 12.5" diameter x 20"h (not including lid)

12) Do you sell spare lids?

I can get them for you.

13) What type of material are the tri-clamp gaskets? I've read some things about buna vs. ptfe, etc.

Silicone. I also have some PTFE if you preferred those.

14) What size are your tri-clamps? I assume all your fittings use the same size clamp?

1.5" - yes, all the same.

i want my welder to install a sideport on my BK. i think ClaudiusB has one on his rig.

tangential-inlet.jpg

these prices seem very competitive...but, unless i missed something, the shipping cost would drive the cost through the roof. do they have a US importer?

edit: i see they ship from portland. looks like a good deal

You're Going to be very happy. I got my 9.2 gal. w/ thermowell in November. Using the whirpool feature, I drained the clearest wort ever (for me):) into the fermenter. You get less boil off with the shape and the mirror finish holds heat better, if I am not mistaken. Nice stuff!

You're Going to be very happy. I got my 9.2 gal. w/ thermowell in November. Using the whirpool feature, I drained the clearest wort ever (for me):) into the fermenter. You get less boil off with the shape and the mirror finish holds heat better, if I am not mistaken. Nice stuff!

Do you have an inlet or do you stir to whirlpool?

I am ordering one mainly because the diameter is small enough to fit on my stove burner and it holds enough to allow me to boil a little longer and collect a full 6 gallons (now I just barely fit 7 gallons which ends up around 5.25 int he fermenter.) Oh and the ball valve will let me get the wort out a bit easier than now!

I do the whirlpool by hand. I didn't even think of having the inlet installed when I bought it (should have). I did order the thermowell though!:). When you get it, follow the initial cleaning instructions. They look plenty clean, but you'd be surprised what comes off.
Cheers!

I do the whirlpool by hand. I didn't even think of having the inlet installed when I bought it (should have). I did order the thermowell though!:). When you get it, follow the initial cleaning instructions. They look plenty clean, but you'd be surprised what comes off.
Cheers!

Will do, thanks for the tip and cheers!

There's several threads about these guys....they're so popular now the build times are taking a while!

And I've read everything on here that I could find, but it seems most posts are soft data -- I'd like to hear some hard data from those that actually use them

I special ordered my kettles and conicals from John and recevieved them a few months back. I've been too busy to put anything in them yet, but they are nice products given the price you pay for them.

They few problems I had were pretty quickly dealt with by John. I can't say enough good things about the customers service he gave.

Whenever I finally get around to brewing with these, I'll report back on the experience.

Back