Dry hopping for what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
How much flavor of the hop is imparted by dry hopping? Is it a significant amount or is dry hopping merely for an aroma boost?

It is both. The aroma affects one's perception of the flavor. However, dry hopping primarily is for the aroma. Properly done, the aroma jumps out at you, and, depending on the variety, the grassy bitterness quickly presents itself.

Dryhopping should primarily done in beers in which the hops are a the dominant component: pale ales, IPA's, pilsners.

Ya I've got an Pale Ale just about ready, and I am wrestling with whether or not to dry hop. Not doing it seems so much easier, and I don't have to worry about sanatizing or straining when I move to a keg.

but if it will make the beer significantly better then I'll do it.

Hops are anti-bacterial on their own. If you are kegging, it is easy. I take a nylon stocking (women's knee highs), sanitize that if you want, put 1/2 to 1 oz hops in it, and drop it in the keg and chill it. I've never gotten an infection, and get a wonderful aroma. A pale ale is a perfect beer for it.

Just a tip: use the same variety of hops you used in the boil. I've found it works better.

Hops are anti-bacterial on their own. If you are kegging, it is easy. I take a nylon stocking (women's knee highs), sanitize that if you want, put 1/2 to 1 oz hops in it, and drop it in the keg and chill it. I've never gotten an infection, and get a wonderful aroma. A pale ale is a perfect beer for it.

Just a tip: use the same variety of hops you used in the boil. I've found it works better.

Do you leave the hop filled stocking in the keg the entire time, or do you take it out after a few days?

I use a stainless tea ball(with pellet hops) and attach a length of unflavored dental floss to it. The lid will still seal, and i can pull it out when the aroma is right.

I am in the midst of dry hopping in primary. I plan on crash cooling then racking to keg. I have read that the hops should settle out during a good crash cool, but I do have a paint strainer bag that I can rack through if needed. We shall see how it goes.

Back