Putting pressure on a keg and storing... Co2 stored at 30 degrees, keg at room temp..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
First, sorry to all for posting so many things.... But I have lots of questions...

Ok, so I am going to rack to a keg and put 20 lb's of pressure on it for storage. Here's the thing.... I am going to store the keg at 60 degrees, but my Co2 tank is stored at 30 degree's. Since the keg when pressure is put on will be at room temp, will that be 20 lb's at room temp or 20 lb's at the temp of the CO2 cylinder or a mixture of both? My concern is the potential to overcarbonate because the C02 is really cold.... My hope is that neither will be enough to overcarbonate. During storage I dont really plan on adding CO2 and when its "ready" I will force carbonate it to 12 PSI over a few days. I'm guessing this is not a problem but want to be sure...

The temperature of the CO2 tank does not make any difference whatsoever with the pressure at the outlet of the regulator. The temperature of the CO2 tank is directly related to the pressure within the tank only. The pressure in the tank will be about 850 psi at room temp and 570 psi at 40˚F, but the output pressure will still be only 20 psi, if that is what you set the regulator for.

John

That's what the regulator does, give you a constant output regardless of the input.

The regulator may have some problems working correctly at 30F. It can collect water and freeze.

Back