Fermentation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhoner

Reaction score
Between a friend and I we have brewed about 12 batches using malt extracts. I finally tried to do my own IPA at home.

As a standard, we have been doing 2 weeks in the primary (Ale pail) and 2 weeks in the glass car boy. I'm not exactly sure why we have chosen 2 weeks and 2 weeks, but I am at the one week stage with my IPA.

I am was hoping for some insight on how to determine the length of use for a primary before transferring to a secondary...

I used 6 lbs of liquid extract and 3 lbs of dry extract. Should I leave it sitting in the primary longer because of the amount of extract?

What will I gain or lose from transferring today? :confused:

Everyone doesn't brew the same way, so I was just looking for some insight as how to plan my fermentation times.

Or would my first step be taking a gravity reading and go from there?

Two weeks is a great length of time if you are using a secondary. It allows the yeast enough time to ferment, clean up its waste (remove off flavors), and start to clear.

You gain nothing by racking today. What you have to lose in transferring today is possible stuck fermentation if it is not done. Can it be done, yes. Is it better to wait for the yeast to finish all its jobs, YES!

Many of use don't use a secondary but instead just leave it in the primary for 4 weeks and bottle or keg.

Two weeks is a great length of time if you are using a secondary. It allows the yeast enough time to ferment, clean up its waste (remove off flavors), and start to clear.

You gain nothing by racking today. What you have to lose in transferring today is possible stuck fermentation if it is not done. Can it be done, yes. Is it better to wait for the yeast to finish all its jobs, YES!

Many of use don't use a secondary but instead just leave it in the primary for 4 weeks and bottle or keg.

'nuff said. (and thanks!)

Back