My regulator isn't letting any CO2 through

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/double-gas-regulator.html

^That's my regulator. I've had it for less than a year. A few weeks ago I set one of the regulators to ~30psi to carb a birch beer. The next morning the guages were all reading zero, and I assumed I had a leak somewhere, which I would diagnose once I had more CO2. Well I finally have a full CO2 tank and I can't get any of the gauges to come alive and I can't get any flow. Any ideas?

That doesn't make much sense...

I'd disconnect the tank...and crack the valve to see if anything comes out!... You might have a bad tank valve. But it would make it impossible to fill the tank.

Those regs are easy to take apart. I'd take a pipe cleaner...and see how far it runs up the tank side stem without hitting an obstruction. It should go as far as the brass nut on the back. If you remove the brass nut on the back...careful not to damage the o-ring seal. There is a filter screen...that's what the pipe cleaner should run into first. You can clean the screen. There's a spring, and a poppet valve... Reassemble in the same order. The other side is a straight shot to your High Pressure gauge (or your next regulator)...that monitors the tank pressure. If you can't get pressure to register on the High Pressure gauge...there's no use in continuing. You've got to find out what's preventing the CO2 from getting into the High Pressure side. If you find an obstruction...or if it turns out to be a bad tank...and you still have problems...let me know. I'll talk you through the low side diagnosis.

You nailed it. The tank has some kind of obstruction on the valve. It looks like packed dirt, I'm going to see if I can scrape it away.

On the tank "TW 12.1" is stamped. I assume that means tare weight is 12.1 lbs. My scale puts it at less than 12lbs. I think I got an empty tank.

It's empty!

Yes..that's the Tare. SO if you subtract that number from the weight of the tank...that's how much CO2 you have. If your tank is less than the tare weight...I'd consider the scale might be off a little. But someone could have swaped tank valves with a lighter model.

I always weigh my tanks again when they're empty and put a label on them. Weight is the best measure for how much CO2 you have left in the tank.

That measurement was from my bathroom scale. I busted out my 0-50lb postage scale and got 12lb 1.6oz just to be sure. I've been without CO2 now for 3 weeks. This sucks. The airgas here doesn't stock 5lb tanks, and it took two weeks to get this one (the truck last week didn't have it for some reason). Now I'm going to have to wait another week unless the other welding supply in town has 5lb co2 tanks. I'll call and find out tomorrow.

That's a bummer.

Hope your gas supplier comes through for you. When you get the gas...a little dishwashing detergent mixed with water makes a good leak check solution.

Back