Double IPA F*ck It, We'll Do It Live Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNic

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 69
Additional Fermentation
7 days @ 69 (dry hop)
Tasting Notes
A massive IIPA with tropical fruit, pine, and resin. Drink it fresh!
16 lbs - Maris Otter 88.9%
1 lb - American Caramel 80 5.6%
1 lb - Table Sugar 5.6%

1.00 oz - US Golding (4.9% AA) 60 min

1.00 oz - Cascade (7.1% AA) 30 min

0.50 oz - Summit (17.6% AA) 15 min
0.50 oz - Apollo (17.7% AA) 15 min
0.50 oz - Columbus (14% AA) 15 min

0.50 oz - Summit (17.6% AA) steep 30 min
0.50 oz - Apollo (17.7% AA) steep 30 min
0.50 oz - Columbus (14% AA) steep 30 min
1.00 oz - Amarillo (7.7% AA) steep 30 min
1.00 oz - Simcoe (13.2% AA) steep 30 min

1.00 oz - Amarillo (7.7% AA) dry hop 7 days
2.00 oz - Columbus (14% AA) dry hop 7 days
1.50 oz - Apollo (17.7% AA) dry hop 7 days
3.00 oz - Simcoe (13.2% AA) dry hop 7 days
1.50 oz - Summit (17.6% AA) dry hop 7 days

Mash at 148 for 60 min
60 min boil with a 30 minute hop steep

Make sure you pitch enough yeast and aerate. I did 1 packet of US-05 and 2 vials of Wyeast 1056, and they ripped through the beer pretty quickly.

Ferment for 7 days at 69. After 7 days, or when the beer has reached final gravity, dry hop for 7 days. Cold crash, then bottle. Make sure the bottled beer is in a warm area (70+ degrees) so it carbs up quickly. Carb to 2.4 volumes of co2.

If you brew it, make sure to post your feedback! Enjoy!

Is this your recipe? That's alot of hops, looks good.

Yes, it's my recipe. I was originally going to brew a basic Pale Ale back in December, but then I found out I was going to have to move to Colorado for my job (or so I thought). I decided to brew a massive IPA instead, thinking I wasn't going to brew anything for a while. This beer is the result, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Yes, it's my recipe. I was originally going to brew a basic Pale Ale back in December, but then I found out I was going to have to move to Colorado for my job (or so I thought). I decided to brew a massive IPA instead, thinking I wasn't going to brew anything for a while. This beer is the result, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Did it turn out like anything u could compare it to commercially? It looks like a lot of the same hops that heady uses.

Did it turn out like anything u could compare it to commercially? It looks like a lot of the same hops that heady uses.

No, nothing comes to mind. I haven't had Heady though.

9oz of dry hops for 5g batch? No thanks - sounds terrible

My bad misread ur quote yeah 9oz dry hop plus the rest is a pound total. That's the biggest dry hop amount I've seen for a 5 gal batch but hey it may be awesome bet the nose just explodes out of the bottle.

No, nothing comes to mind. I haven't had Heady though.

Ok just curious. I may try this out but scale it down to a iipa, it has some hops I've never used but been meaning to ie Columbus, apollo and summit.

It's a full pound when u consider the dry hops. That's about 50$ in hops alone but it's a monster beer at 10%.

Yeah it's a lot. I had just bought a bunch of bulk hops for the year, and like I said I thought I wouldn't be able to brew again for a while. So I thought "why not?". It's definitely not a cheap beer if you're buying hops by the ounce.

Yeah it's a lot. I had just bought a bunch of bulk hops for the year, and like I said I thought I wouldn't be able to brew again for a while. So I thought "why not?". It's definitely not a cheap beer if you're buying hops by the ounce.

I see u bottle. Did u dry hop in primary or secondary and did u use a hop sack. Did u split the dry hops into two separate additions or do it all at the same time?

I see u bottle. Did u dry hop in primary or secondary and did u use a hop sack. Did u split the dry hops into two separate additions or do it all at the same time?

Primary, I don't do secondaries. No, I didn't use a hop sack, but I cold crashed before bottling to drop the hops out. The dry hops were one addition.

Why are you using 4.9%AA bittering hops?

Recipe Database is intended for solid tried and true recipes. If you just made this in December, it belongs in the Recipes/Ingredients forum. I think you will get more traffic and feedback there.

Recipe Database is intended for solid tried and true recipes. If you just made this in December, it belongs in the Recipes/Ingredients forum. I think you will get more traffic and feedback there.

Seems like he's drinking this right now. I'd say in his mind it's a tried and true recipe he liked and wanted to share.

Primary, I don't do secondaries. No, I didn't use a hop sack, but I cold crashed before bottling to drop the hops out. The dry hops were one addition.

Cool. Same thing I do. Thanks for the response

Most of the bittering comes from the late additions. I like the beer, so I wanted to share the recipe with everyone. While I would appreciate feedback from anyone who brews the beer, feedback was not the intention of the post.

I appreciate the constructive criticism though.

I'm likin' it....the name and the recipe.... and I'ma gonna brew it... plenty of hops in the freezer, bought in bulk....thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I definitely think buying hops in bulk is key. It would be a very expensive recipe otherwise. Make sure you let us know how it turns out!

What is the Aroma like? Are you getting plenty of Columbus from your late additions?

Back