Direct Heat to Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old-Ned

Reaction score
I'm working with Stainless Steel HLT and Mash Tun. I've missed my target temp a couple of times, and if adding more hot water didn't bring the temp up enough I use a jet burner to bring the mash temp up to my target. Anyone see any problems with this?

Yeah, I've read that some people do not like to put a flame on the mash tun. And, I've already learned my lesson on overheating. I generally kill the flame about 5-7 degrees early and it ends up right in range.

Yeah, I've read that some people do not like to put a flame on the mash tun. And, I've already learned my lesson on overheating. I generally kill the flame about 5-7 degrees early and it ends up right in range.

This is what I do. I moved from a cooler to a keg and seem to struggle to keep a steady mash temp. I check it every 10-15 minutes and when the temp starts dropping I apply heat and stir like crazy. I batch sparge so I just vorlof and drain the tun when it's time.

Back