Another water profile noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
i am planning on going all grain. ive found my city's water profile online. i would just like to know if i brew with the water according to this report, will my beer be ok. i don't want to bother with building a water profile or adding stuff when i brew unless its simple. i pretty much know nothing about this stuff.

thanks a bunch.

http://www.calwater.com/your_water/ccr/2008/hermosaredondo-rd-2008.php

Go to palmers website, how to brew, or get his book by the same name and find the nomographs for water. Enter in all of the information that is needed (Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity). This will show you what style (color) of beer your water is suited for.

Good luck

Just looked at your water report quickly, and did not see the alkalinity listed. There may be a way to find it from the "hardness". I just don't know off hand.

i downloaded the excel file from how to brew and input my water profile. i went through it all and i can brew between 2-7 SRM. if i want to brew a higher srm, the only thing i would add to the mash water would be baking soda to increase alkalinity. does that sound reasonable?

Be careful with just adding stuff.... you have to balance the chloride to sulfate ratio. Which that spreadsheet does for you. Most of the time you have to add a few things.
My water is suited for brewing darker beers, but if I want to brew a stout, I need to add Epsom salts and baking soda.
If you have a few hours, listen to the brewing networks webcasts on water. Jamil and Palmer do a fine job explaining the way water works with brewing, and the do an even better job going through water additions.

thanks for the tip i missed that about the chloride to sulfate ratio. i'll re-read the section in how to brew, i kinda read it fast.

is there a quick answer to what the ratio should be or does it depend on beer style / srm color?

thanks for the tip i missed that about the chloride to sulfate ratio. i'll re-read the section in how to brew, i kinda read it fast.

is there a quick answer to what the ratio should be or does it depend on beer style / srm color?

The answer to your question is yes and no. First off, with the different styles of beer, some are malty, some are bitter, you try to match the style with the ratio. There is a certain number to look for, but I really don't remember it. I do remember the two beer gods talking about it in the 2nd or 3rd podcast.
You should be able to add in the salts/minerals into the spread sheet, and it will tell you how your chloride to sulfate ratio is doing. Just keep changing the numbers until you get what you want.

thanks. i found searhing around here Five Star 5.2 pH Stabilizer. reading up on this now i may just add this stuff to the mash and not worry about it.

Latest posts

Back