Looking for a nice bitter IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribe

Reaction score
So I'm looking to do my 3rd brew. 5th technically, first two were a coopers kit which were boring to say the least. I'm a huge IPA fan...the bitter the better. I love 2 hearted ale, ruination, acme iPa, dogfish 60min, and hop devil. The first batch I did was a two hearted clone which turned out pretty good, fruitier then Bells 2 hearted, but pretty damn good for a first try. Second is a ruination clone just bottled, haven't tried yet, but seems to have a low abv according to OG and Fg.

So basically I'm looking for a nice bitter iPa extract recipe to try this weekend. Any recipes worth trying would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If you like ruination, there is an easy recipe in the recipe database up at the top (I was just looking at it :) ) There is an extract version of it. It's actually an IIPA. Look around the recipe database, I look at those all the time to figure out what I want to brew up, and they are very helpful.

I am doing an IIPA for my 4th batch. I am using 4 different hops though. Just make sure you get the hop addition right, and have the right bittering hops in the beginning of the boil.

Tried this recipe a few months ago, been meaning to do it again cause it is AWESOME:

7 lbs. Munton's light DME
3 lbs. pale malt
.5 lbs. biscuit malt
.5 lbs crystal 80L

1 oz. citra/60 mins
1 oz. sorachi ace/20 mins
1 oz. citra/1 min
dry hopped with 1 oz. sorachi ace for 5 days

1 pkg. safale US-05

OG 1.077
FG 1.019

Now I definitely think it could be tweaked, as this only results in a beer that has 46.62 IBU's. Greater quantities of hops (while keeping all the proportions) should do it; when I had the beer it seemed like there was a slight maltiness that indicated more hops could be used. I remember being dubious that this would be good since the recipe is kinda plain, but man it turned out great.

Thanks Yooper and Zabuza, I'll definitely be adding your recipes to the list. I'm going to try an extract version of Pliny the Elder tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how it turns out. If that isn't hoppy, I don't know what will be.

Back