Amarillo aroma substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogwash

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to brew JZ's Old Monster barleywine sometime soon and in shopping for ingredients at the usual suspects I have discovered that Amarillo hops, one of the aroma additions, are sold out until the fall. I see Summit, Cascade and Centennial listed as subs as well as a few folks mentioning Simcoe in other threads. Anyone have a suggestion for which one would be most appropriate for aroma?

I'm currently leaning towards Summit but would love some feedback.

Thanks!

Ahtanum might also work. I don't think there is a direct sub for amarillo but the hops you have listed will have some of the same characteristics.

Amarillo is currently available from LD Carlson, one of the main homebrewing wholesalers, so it shouldn't be difficult to find right now.

It's difficult to sub for since it's so unique. I would use Centennial or 7 C's, just because those are currently some of my favorite hops.

Amarillo is currently available from LD Carlson, one of the main homebrewing wholesalers, so it shouldn't be difficult to find right now.

Interesting, my LHBS, Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, and Hops Direct are all sold out.

If your LHBS orders from LD, you should be able to call them and ask them to order some for you, piggybacking on their next store order. Just be prepared to pay a pretty penny for them. Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe are pretty pricy.

Actually just found 'em at Austin Homebrew. Pays to look a little further I guess.

Back