What mini fridge for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karbinator

Reaction score
It seems like the search threads come up with "no longer sold" units when I refer to lowes/depot/walmart.

I need a small fridge for cornies out on my deck/grill...the height limits are 33"...I'm not real concerned about a tower out the top. It will be under a countertop, which is 18.5" deep. I could route lines out the side(?), or keep inside. I suppose the gas needs to be inside since the heat from the sun,and grill could be detrimental.

What's out there for this? I have a keezer, but it's far from the activites, and is really for initial chilling/carbing .... And too big!

Anyone know what'll work?

Thanks!!!!!:rockin:

Have you looked at smaller freezers to convert? Those mini fridges are so cheap and you're pretty limited to the ones that don't have freezers.

I just saw a little fridge at big lots for 80 bucks that looked big enough for two. The freezer section was really tiny. Maybe need to remove the door shelves thats about it. If I had the dough id have one by now.

The Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM at Lowes is what I bought. It is easy to find in stock these days. There are several threads the board here that detail the conversion. The conversion isn't quite as simple as the holy grail of mini fridges (Sanyo 4912), but it isn't too hard.

The key is to look for one that is 4.4cuft at an absolute minimum, and 4.9+ is better. You really want to find one that does not have a freezer compartment, or one where you are sure that others have been able to modify the freezer compartment to get it out of the way. The LFPH44M4LM is unique in that the freezer compartment is cooled from coils above, and the shelf separating the freezer and the fridge sections is just that, an insulated shelf that can be easily removed.

When I decided to build a minikeger, I looked on Craigslist for a Sanyo 4912 for several weeks before giving up and going to Lowes for the LFPH44M4LM. After a few hours of work I have a really sweet looking (and functioning) little setup, though I still wish I had the extra room afforded by the 4912.

Another idea is you can make 9" diameter cardboard circles (my cornies are 9", measure yours first), and take these discs to the store with you when looking at the floor models.

I just passed up a $75 kegerator on Craigslist today, complete with tower and a single tap, so keep in mind that they're out there.

The Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM at Lowes is what I bought. It is easy to find in stock these days. There are several threads the board here that detail the conversion. The conversion isn't quite as simple as the holy grail of mini fridges (Sanyo 4912), but it isn't too hard.

The key is to look for one that is 4.4cuft at an absolute minimum, and 4.9+ is better. You really want to find one that does not have a freezer compartment, or one where you are sure that others have been able to modify the freezer compartment to get it out of the way. The LFPH44M4LM is unique in that the freezer compartment is cooled from coils above, and the shelf separating the freezer and the fridge sections is just that, an insulated shelf that can be easily removed.

When I decided to build a minikeger, I looked on Craigslist for a Sanyo 4912 for several weeks before giving up and going to Lowes for the LFPH44M4LM. After a few hours of work I have a really sweet looking (and functioning) little setup, though I still wish I had the extra room afforded by the 4912.

BestBuy stocks the same fridge only with a different inside door panel. This door panel allows you to fit to 5 gallon cornies in it along with a 5 lb. co2 canister without cutting the door. Just drill holes for the shanks and you're done. :rockin:

I didn't realize the Frigidaire model that Best Buy sold had a different door panel, but just to be clear I am able to fit 2 corny kegs and a 5lb co2 tank with regulator in mine (LFPH44M4LM from Lowes) just fine without modifying the door as well. Though I'm using a tower with mine, not door shanks.

Cheers

Tellin you if you have big lots go look. They have 2 GEs on the floor at the one near me. They look like they have way more room than the ones at best buy. With the picnic type tap you would be ready to go 90 bucks probably remove the panel on the door. Wish I had 100 bucks.

I would also get the Best Buy or lowe's 4.4 Frigidaire model. I converted one myself and it was pretty easy.

I didn't realize the Frigidaire model that Best Buy sold had a different door panel, but just to be clear I am able to fit 2 corny kegs and a 5lb co2 tank with regulator in mine (LFPH44M4LM from Lowes) just fine without modifying the door as well. Though I'm using a tower with mine, not door shanks.

Cheers

Good to know that you didn't have to modify the door. I know some guys did with the Lowe's one, but they were also putting shanks through the door and were having some clearance issues.

Back