Fruit Juice for my Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just wondering about what I can use to flavor my wheat beer. I was thinking of a mango wheat, and I picked up a bottle of Looza Mango Nectar (http://www.looza.be/#/EN/products/looza-specials/). It says the only ingredients are water, mango puree concentrate, and sugar. Thought it'd be ok, but now that I'm looking at it, it's only 38% juice, so don't know what all the other sugars are (fermentable?). Will this be OK, or should I find something that's 100% fruit juice?

You'd be better off using 100% fruit, either fresh or canned. Something like this or this. The only problems with those, in your case, is no mango.

Fresh is another option if you want to try that route. It will be some work, peeling and juicing the mangoes, but the results will be better than using the 30% fruit juice that you mention in your first post, IMHO.

Think ACE is right. I just bottled a blueberry wheat. Put in 1 gallon of blueberry juice when I racked to my secondary, but after 4 weeks there it had a blueberry scent but it was an after taste, didn't project itself during the initial tasting. I ended up pitching another half gallon and 24 hours later bottled the beer. Was more taste. Will see how it turns out after it carbs up and cold conditions in the fridge.

Thinking the puree the day before bottling would have been better. I did want to ferment out some of the sugars to prevent bottle bombs. Some say add the juice right to the bottling bucket.

I saw a vid on youtube where they used frozen blueberries,saying that thawing them gives better juice. I tend to agree,since I've noticed this myself. They added that & honey to the primary,since they contain substantial sugars.

I'll be bottling it. I only made a 3 gal batch since I'm trying to figure out some other stuff with this one as well, so all the fruit purees that were linked above are probably a bit much. I'll check out some other options, thanks!

Back