15 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
So, as I'm working toward all-grain, my plan is to move up to larger batches. With 5 gallon batches, by the time I'm done sharing and all, there isn't much left. Ok, maybe 10 gallon batches. The thing is that I'd still have to split batches up between carboys. Might be weird, but something bugs me about splitting up batches in the process. If I go to 15 gallons, I can get a demi-john to do secondaries in. So now I'm thinking I want to do 15 gallons.
I'm going under the assumption that a 100 quart/25 gallon pot is adequate for 15 gallon batches, Then I figure a 20 gallong fermenter - is that enough for 15 gallons?

In my contemplating getting a pot for 15 gallon batches, my wife suggested that, while I can make a small batch in a larger pot, I can't make a large batch in a smaller pot. How can I argue with logic like that?

I generally go by having a kettle that is 30% larger than the largest volume of wort I'll be boiling. you can do a smaller patch in a large pot, just be sure to plan your recipie for for different evaporation rates. I generally see a greater rate of evaporation in a larger (wider) pots

Might be weird, but something bugs me about splitting up batches in the process.

This is a valid concern. I've been doing 10 gallon batches for a while now, and sometimes I split them between carboys. Other times I use a sankey keg for fermentation.
When I use two separate carboys, I always get a slightly different beer out of each. It is usually related to the amount of cold break being higher in one. The finishing gravity is often different in each carboy. That says alot about some things best discussed elsewhere.

But when I can I try to use one fermenter (sankey keg) for my entire batch. Gets me much more consistent results, so yes I'd agree you'd be best stepping up to a bigger fermenter.

splitting batches does have some inherent problem associated with it. I am forced to do it due to the fact that I am limited to 5 gallon carboys. However I will usually pitch a different yeast into each carboy so I can compare the two different beers

Back